26 || Bard the Bargeman

The company remained at arrow-point as the man - a human - scanned over them curiously

The company remained at arrow-point as the man - a human - scanned over them curiously. The dwarves glanced at one another, desperately trying to figure out what the next move was. The man's threatening gaze stopped on Leo, who stood in between Fili and Kili. His eyes seemed to soften as he looked into hers, his eyebrows knitted together as if he were thinking...or as if he recognized her

Balin's attention left the man as he spotted something that hooked his interest. He approached the man slowly with his arms slightly raised in surrender. "Excuse me, but um...you're from Lake-town, if I'm not mistaken? That barge over there, it wouldn't be available for hire by any chance?"

The man, assuming no threat from the dwarves, lowered his bow and made his way to a small, stone jetty where his barge was docked. Balin followed after the man as the company followed wearily. The man climbed into his boat as he began loading the barrels the dwarves had so graciously brought down the river.

"What makes you think I would help you?"

"Those boots have seen better days, as has that coat. No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed? How many bairns?" Balin approached him.

The man sighed before grabbing another barrel. "A boy and two girls."

"And your wife, I imagine, she's a beauty?"

He hesitated as he looked over his shoulder at the company. "Aye..." his eyes snapped to Leo who was wrapped in Fili's arms as she shivered. His eyes went back out to the river. "...she was." 

Balin's face dropped. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

Dwalin huffed and spoke to Thorin a little too loudly. "Oh, come on, come on. Enough with the niceties."

"What's your hurry?" The man smirked at the dwarf's attitude.

"What's it to you?"

"I would like to know who you are, and what you were doing in these lands." The man leaned towards Balin, awaiting an answer.

"We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains, journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills." The man's eyes scanned over the company while Balin spoke, his face clearly showed he wasn't buying the tale.

"Simple merchants, you say?"

Thorin stepped forward, "We need food, supplies, weapons. Can you help us?"

The man looked at the barrels he had loaded as he ran his hand over the numerous scuffs and sends. "I know where these barrels came from."

"What of it?"

The man spoke up a bit louder than before to address the entire company. "I don't know what business you had with the elves, but I don't think it ended well. No one enters Lake-town but by lead of the master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland realm. He would see you in irons before risking the wrath of king Thranduil." He threw a rope to Balin and continued to organize his boat.