TWO

CHAPTER TWO - NOT SO HIDDEN
(05/03/2021)
Edited: 24/08/2022

"Dear gentle reader,

After two years of a certain Bridgerton girl being kept in the shadows, leading a boring life, it would appear that the lovely Calista will be returning to London in the upcoming days, ready to be re-welcomed into society that she quickly left after the death of her wonderful father.

Before she quietly left, there was a proposal on the horizon for the beautiful Calista. I wouldn't mind being a fly buzzing around in the walls of the Ramsey household when the Lord finds out she is coming back. I wonder if they will soon become the couple of the season again, like before.

It would appear that Viscount Anthony Bridgerton has been spotted outside of a well known pharmaceutical parlour purchasing female pills. Could it be that his bachelor days have finally caught up with him? I wonder who the unlucky lady is, perhaps one from a brothel- it wouldn't be the first time that the eldest Bridgerton would have brought a scandalous endeavour to his poor mother's door. It is no secret that both Bridgerton girls; Calista and Daphne will be joining le bon ton soon enough.

What a naughty boy Anthony is to be bringing a scandal right to their door.

Warmest regards, Lady Whistledown."

She arrived home soon enough by carriage, holding a book in her hand as her knee bounced up and down in complete nervousness. She hadn't seen her family in two years, in that time she had perfected her harpsichord and viola practice, she considered herself most accomplished in the arts. She hadn't written to her mother in almost two months, not feeling the need to decrease her mood dramatically with talk of husbands.

She hadn't wanted to come back home but she decided the quicker that she came back, the quicker she could leave again. She wasn't meant to be paraded around town hunting for suitors but the world of a woman wasn't even human, she was to be seen as an object for the rest of her life serving a man.

It was a dreadful world.

Of course, she had begged her brother Anthony to let her live in the countryside without being brought back but he had declined.

"My beautiful Lista." She heard her mother in awe as she exited the carriage outside of her former home. Her mother looked radiant as ever, healthier than the last time she saw her mother. Calista was welcomed by some siblings although Francesca was missing from the bundle that approached her.

Hyacinth ran towards her sister with a giggle as Calista lifted her youngest sister up into a large embrace, finally reunited with her siblings. She had missed the twins - she had missed her twin.

"Let's get you inside, you can tell me all about what I've missed." She whispered to Hyacinth and put her down, her sister ran into the house whilst holding hands with Gregory as they babbled in broken English but their communication was getting better, she had read from Daphne's letters. Their governess' got them back into the house, enough time for Calista to be welcomed at supper without rushing around and unpacking.

"How blessed we are to have you back, sister." Benedict embraced his sister as they both walked up the grand stairs, walking into their house.

"Nothing has changed, I see. I suppose Anthony will not be welcoming me home." She rolled her eyes.

"You know he is a busy man, Lista."

She had reunited with all her siblings as they were sitting down to a lovely three course meal in celebration to Calista coming home, the youngest children sat furthest away from the head of the table, giggling and annoying each other.

"I've already had a dress made for you. I trust that the measurements that you had sent over is still the same?" Her mother asked, sipping wine.

"Yes mama, when shall I be expected to be brought out into wonderful society?" She asked, sarcasm dripping from each word.

"Don't use that tone with your mother, Calista. You have to find a suitable husband, now that you are nineteen."

"Heaven forbid, you become a spinster. Lady Whistledown would have a field day." Eloise laughed out loud which made Calista chuckle under her breathe, making Colin nudge her arm in an attempt to hush her. Of course she had sat beside him, they were inseparable when together.

"Maybe, Lord Ramsey will pay our house a visit. What a lovely suitor for you." The mention of Lord Ramsey made her almost choke on her own glass of wine.

"Mama." Calista lowered her voice in a warning tone. She thought she had made it quite clear that his name would never be spoken again.

"Well, you must marry." Anthony agreed with their mother. It was a common conversation that Anthony had with his sister- he, now, wanted her married to the man she had loved from day one.

"How dare you attempt to chose a husband for me, I am quite capable of making these decisions for myself. If you had let me marry him two years ago, we wouldn't be in this situation."
She raised her voice as she left the dining table.