FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR - AN ANGEL
(05/03/2021)
Edited: 24/08/2022

A pregnant pause washed over the crowd in the over-extravagant room which Calista and Daphne were presented to the glorious yet bored Queen Charlotte

A pregnant pause washed over the crowd in the over-extravagant room which Calista and Daphne were presented to the glorious yet bored Queen Charlotte. Daphne was dressed in a simple yet elegant dress, a huge white feather placed neatly into her up-do. Soft makeup matched her soft features, Daphne was picture perfect, the innocence radiated off her for the world to see and the shy girl would be the favourite, this year.

Calista, on the other hand, adored outstanding fashion. 

Fashion turned heads, she had been known for over exaggerated outfits since she was fifteen years old. The Ton were simply used to her outbursts and not at all surprised by this.

However, she hadn't been in the view of the public for a long time.

Her mother was secretly proud of her daughter wanting to be fashionable and she succeeded gracefully yet she couldn't admit out loud.

She was humbled at the thought of her daughter coming back mature and ready to come out to society but there was a part of Violet that thought Calista would never come back after what had happened to her, the few selected people who knew what happened would take their knowledge to the grave.

She was wearing the soft shade of rose quartz wrapped delicately around her body, dainty flowers made from fabric were hand stitched onto her corset, enhancing her waist which surely was petite.

As she stood before the queen, she cherished this moment, her small yet statement of a trail, moving in sync with her actions as she awaited judgement along with her sister. Her hair was longer than any girl her age, it wasn't fashionable to have rather long locks but she had vowed that it soon would become the new norm.

"Flawless, my dear." Queen Charlotte smirked at the younger sister, Daphne as she admired her appearance and her radiant beauty. The Queen thought Daphne was the diamond of the season. There was almost a sigh of relief around the room, from the Bridgerton's as they looked on.

The Queen looked upon the eldest sister and stood quiet, looking at every small detail on Calista's face. She was stunned and very nervous. She thought she would pass out like the unfortunate Featherington sister, it surely would be in the gossip sheet tomorrow morning.

"You look like an angel."

It seemed that both Bridgerton sisters had fate by their sides, the Summer would be a great experience for them. With the Queen commenting on the sisters, it was certain that they would have suitors lining up. Queen Charlotte never took any notice of any of the girls, too bored to care.

"Did that truly just happen?" Daphne pranced into the Bridgerton manor, happy and giddly for all housemaids to see. She finally blossomed into someone worthy, she couldn't control her excitement.

"Careful, Daphne. You have to be calm and collected, you know. Don't get ahead of yourself. Even though some men are pleasing to the eyes, does not mean they have kind hearts. Take your time and figure out these things. I'm sure dear Anthony will help us with these things. Isn't that right, brother?" Calista calmed her sister by holding her right cheek in her dainty hands, slightly rubbing her thumb against the skin. Her sister smiled, she was grateful that her sister was going to look out for her.

"Yes, indeed it is. Although you surely took your time figuring out Arthur Ramsey." Anthony revealed and his mother smacked the back of his head. Calista almost choked on her own salvia, her cheeks turned red.

"Mama, what ever does Anthony mean?" Francesca asked. Their mother glared at all three of her sons laughing, all red in the face.

"He liked to ride...his horse, in the fields of the countryside." Benedict bit his tongue to try and hold the laughters in.

"Go now before I hit you with my shoe." Calista declared as she quickly took off her shoe and threw it out the door which she saw them running towards. Her history with Lord Ramsey was interesting to say the least. Even though he was her first love, she wasn't sure the time spent away from him insured that she loved him. It was all very complicated, she thought. She had been alone for some time and felt too comfortable with the loneliness.

As evening struck, the girls were settling down for the night. Both the older girls shared a room, shared a bed with each other which was not uncommon.

"You truly sparkled, Daphne. The Queen called you flawless. You are going to find someone who makes you so happy." Calista called out and Daphne let a smile reach from ear to ear.

"She called you an angel, Lista. You are. I can't contain my excitement for this year. I don't doubt we will be married by the end of our first season."

"We have our first social ball tomorrow. We better get some sleep."

"I can't wait to find a love like mama and papa." Daphne whispered as she held her pinky out for her sister to take, intertwining pinkies as usual.

Calista did not sleep well that night, constantly thinking about her past life. She would have been married now, with a husband who was infatuated with her, with a child who she would do anything for. A peaceful life but she was dealt this, there was no peace in her mind.