THIRTY SEVEN

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN : TOUCH ME BEFORE I BREAK
(03/07/2021)

gurl I tried smut again, oh no.

Going out in public had been a great mistake on Calista's part. As the couple weren't even on talking terms, they had put on a show of affection. She wasn't sure if it was for her benefit or not but it was needed. She craved his touch, she wanted to be one with his soul again. Not two months married and the couple didn't know were they stood. It was an awkward strange feeling, to be madly in love with someone but feel like they were worlds apart.

She had stormed into the townhouse, Simon hot on her heels as she struggled to unpin her hair, shaking hands betraying her as she grunted with angry. She turned around to him, already ranting.

"Did you see them all whispering about me?" She needed to know she was right, that she wasn't paranoid. She had thought her outing with Simon would make her feel safe yet it just made her more irritated.

He had clasped her hand with his, soothing her hand with his thumb. Even though Summer was soon coming to an end, the weather was still tasteful. The sunshine forces Calista out from hiding, wearing a plain pink dress with shirt sleeves and she had pinned her hair in a messy updo as she felt unwillingness to make any effort. They were walking towards the street market when she first noticed someone turn her way to glance at her, returning to their friend to chatter.

She had tried to let it slip her mind, it was difficult to say the very least. Feeling like she was being picked apart by society.

"They weren't whispering." He lied, a tiny white lie to protect her feelings. He had seen many people glance their way but he never backed down, he would never not be proud to be seen with his wife. She was his soulmate after all. He had known about her relationship with Arthur, there was no need to intensify her guilt although he did have his questions.

She had found herself standing at the flower stand, staring at arrangements after arrangements, the sea of colours blurring her vision. Her arms were clasped behind her back and she heard a woman to her right mutter not that quietly to her husband, "she's practically a ladybird."

Her jaw clenched as she tried not to listen to the comments, it seemed that everyone thought she was a whore. She looked at the couple who had been talking about her and widely grinned, creating a faux persona about herself to keep her grounded. Simon had approached and had shook hands with the gentleman beside the gossiping woman.

"Hastings, how are you?" The man greeted, clearly looking at Calista with a certain known look in his eye; lust. It was a common feeling that was directed at the eldest Bridgerton daughter, not to point out flauntingly. She just knew what the man was thinking, more now than ever especially considering people knew she had been sinful before marriage.

"Not too bad. Have you met my lovely wife?" He replied, wrapping an arm around her waist and squeezing it with reassurance.

"It seems the whole of London knows who your wife is." The woman muttered under her breath, thinking that nobody had heard her. Simon glared, suddenly asking the man how his kids were, knowing fine well that it was his mistress who had carried his children, his only children were illegitimate and hidden away from society in the countryside. The man had stuttered, saying his goodbyes to the couple as the woman walked away looking rather defeated and angry.