THIRTY THREE

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE: IN ALL SERIOUSNESS
(22/06/2021)

She had wanted to leave town as soon as possible yet she couldn't force herself after she had discovered Colin's situation, she had never imagined that this would happen. She wasn't sure if she was happy or burdened by the knowledge she knew. She had suggested to Colin that they get married as soon as possible, have a long honeymoon before Marina started to show a growing stomach filled with a child who didn't share the Bridgerton genes. She didn't want to leave her brother alone, almost too protective of him. She had so much stress in her mind, slowly eating away at her heart creating an anxious aura around her.

She found herself at the Ramsey household, knocking on the door as if she was welcomed in Lord Ramsey's house. Arthur's father didn't exactly like the Bridgerton girl as she had often received the cold shoulder from him. Knowing the old man, he was probably out drinking with his illegitimate sons which suited Calista. The face that had comforted her appeared before her and he gave a wide smile to see his friend. Arthur hadn't seen her since her wedding and was thrilled at her visit. Although it was quickly coming up to the evening and he was surprised that she hadn't made plans with him sooner but after all she was a married woman.

"Aren't you a stranger." He pulled her into a hug and she instantly relaxed as she returned the embrace, resting her head on his shoulder, enjoying the warmth of his body through his thin shirt. Peaceful, she hadn't felt peace in a few days nor had she had the company. She let tears finally fall from eyes as she let the floodgates open. She had been struggling recently and now, with everything going on, she needed to have a good cry. Arthur held the back of her head soothingly as she cried into him.

"What's wrong?" He asked, tilting her chin up with his finger, her petted lip showing more emotion that she wanted to.

"Everything is a mess, Dove." She wiped her eyes, hiccuping. She didn't want to admit anything to Arthur but she felt safe beside him, she felt her heart was okay for the split second they were in the same room as eachother and they were best friends again after not seeing him since her wedding day.

"Don't tell me he's hurt you, Calista." He stood strong ready to give Simon more than a telling but she shook her head.

"I suggested children. I shouldn't have said anything about kids, I know he doesn't want them. I still had to ask, I just wanted to bring the subject up." She mumbled. Arthur took a sharp breath in, the topic was a sensitive one for him.

Knowing he had created a child with Calsita years ago and then for the tiny human that grew in her stomach didn't even get the chance to live made him cringe at the thought. Back then, they weren't ready accepting fate, accepting an abortion was the right thing to do.

He had let her brothers beat him senselessly as a sign of respect before admitting that maybe they were wrong to have a child and society would not have been kind to Calista if word got out. He had held her hand as Anthony gave her a small pink pill to make all their problems go away and he stayed by her side, through the terrible cramps and the tears.

"He doesn't want kids?"

"He told me before we married so it's not like it's a shock to the system. I told him I didn't want kids either but I've changed my mind. I'm allowed to change my mind? He doesn't want to speak to me. I've ruined everything, I'm trying to be strong but I don't know what to do."

She had arrived home at the townhouse, completely sober and riddled with anxiety which wasn't like her but who could blame her? Her marriage was going through a rough patch and she didn't have a clue what to do. It wasn't often that Calista felt hopeless, she never viewed herself as someone who was dependent. She always carried herself with pride at the fact she was one of the many few women who didn't feel the need to hide behind a man and a title. She had slammed the door behind her, already antsy with the news Colin had surprised her with afternoon tea. A bit calmer since having words with Arthur. He had told her not to worry, that everything would fix itself out and communicating with Simon was the best way to resolve matters.