THREE

CHAPTER THREE - SPARKLE LIKE A DIAMOND
(05/03/2021)
Edited:24/08/2022

"Dearest reader,

The time has come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Featherington. Three misses foisted upon the marriage market like sorrowful sows by their tasteless tactless mama. Far better odds might exist in the household of the widowed Viscountess Bridgerton. A shockingly prolific family, noted for its bounty of perfectly handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters. Today is a most important day, and for some a terrifying one, for today is the day London's marriage-minded misses are presented to Her Majesty the Queen. May God have mercy on their souls. It is only the queen's eye that matters today. A glimmer of displeasure and a young lady's value plummets to unthinkable depths. But as we know, the brighter a lady shines, the faster she may burn.

It has been said that, "Of all bitches dead or alive, a scribbling woman is the most canine."
If that should be true, then this author would like to show you her teeth.

My name is Lady Whistledown. You do not know me and rest assured, you never shall.But be forewarned, dear reader, I certainly know you."

"I am already roasting." Eloise groaned in discontent as she had been waiting for ten minutes for both sisters to make theirselves known to the family. Today was the particular day that London's season began and Eloise, the dynamic sister was not prepared in the slightest. Wearing a heavy dress, she never dressed up often but today she had been warned to be on her best behaviour from their mother and oldest brother, wherever he may be.

"Are you to complain the entire day, Eloise?" Her mother moaned at her daughter who was now getting her brother to fan her face, it was an amusing sight to see, even on such a serious day like this.

"Surely I cannot be expected to wear these fashions the entire day. You would think that the pair would be ready, they've been planning it long enough." Eloise snickered to Benedict.

"I feel like a princess. Do I look like one?" Francesca came swirling through, with floral delights in her hair and a shimmering smile to light up the skies at night.

"Do you truly wish to know what I think you look like?" Her sister Eloise asked and she got a warning glare off her mother.

"Is our dear sisters still not ready?" Colin paced the ground, impatiently waiting for his sisters presence to grace them as last. They had been getting ready all morning, nobody had seen the pair who were locked in their rooms, panicking over dressed and hair-braids.

"She's only been readying herself the entire night for this, one would expect such haste would be met." Benedict said, fixing his shirt.

"You mean her entire life, more like." Eloise mumbled.

"Daphne, that is. Sometimes I think Calista couldn't care less." Benedict added, their mother overhearing the conversation. It was true on some levels, however, it was a thought that often ran through the eldest daughter's mind. She didn't want to be naive as she once was, hoping for love to come and caress her by the hand. However, she knew she had to marry but she wanted to be the one to pick from the long line of suitors who would surely follow.

"I shall run upstairs and hasten her along." Colin announced and Benedict swiftly stopped him.

"Colin, wait. I'll do it. She likes me better than you."

"Did she say that?" Colin's jaw dripped, almost disheartened looking at Benedict.

"Everyone says that." His brother heartedly laughed, echoing through the house in warmth. There had been a loss of contact with the siblings and their dear sister, they tried their hardest to keep in contact but it was at times, difficult with life grabbing them by the throat.

"Daphne! Calista! You must make haste!" Eloise exclaimed, her loud booming voice echoing thoughout the entire Bridgerton house.

"Should you think they heard me?"

Calista huffed as her maid painted her lips delicately with a rouge formula. She had been told that light makeup was in fashion for social season. She dabbed a light pink powder on her high cheekbones to end the endured torture of getting ready for such a wonderful yet irritable event.

"How very perfect, indeed!" Her mother called praising Daphne. Calista glanced over to see her sister, completely radiant. There was no denying that Daphne was a beautiful creature, she was dainty and light on her feet.

"Stop it, mama. If you don't hurry up,
we're going to be late." Daphne called as her mother still tried to fix her.

"Let her be, mama, she looks perfect." Calista stood beside her sister and they intertwined pinkies, a small sisterly gesture as they smiled in the large mirror. Gazing at what would be an extraordinary Spring through Summer.

"Remember Calista, I promise you make the decisions for yourself. Although, I can't speak for your brother." Her mother touched her shoulders gently, sharing a loving look to her eldest daughter and second eldest who weren't children anymore.

What a crazy Summer it would be.