ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN - VAUXHALL MADNESS
(08/03/2021)

She looked as radiant as a Summer's evening, prettily ready to begin her evening enjoying the extravagant sundown which would be the glorious Vauxhall Ball

She looked as radiant as a Summer's evening, prettily ready to begin her evening enjoying the extravagant sundown which would be the glorious Vauxhall Ball. One which Lady Whistledown would surely have many things to tell on her gossip sheet tomorrow morning, it didn't worry Calista in the slightest, she wasn't one to be fearsome- perhaps she was one to be feared amongst the clinging wannabes that prayed they would have a gentleman before this season ended, yet Calista did not feel the need to force herself to act coy, to act like the innocent lady she was meant to be.

She wasn't late to the ball but she wasn't on time either. Everyone would be wondering where she would be, her family would be patiently awaiting her entrance and no doubt Lady Whistledown would be there sneaking around like a thief in the night.

Earlier, she had outright refused to share a carriage with Anthony, she was now in the stage of giving him the silent treatment until he apologised to her- she would probably wait a long time for some form of apology. Both of them were stubborn so it was no surprise when their mother rolled her eyes and demanded Colin take the carriage with Calista.

As they arrived to The Vauxhall, Calista was in awe of her surroundings. The evening was in full swing outdoors, the lovely humid night which benefited everyone greatly. She was agasted at the pure effort that had went into the planning of this event. The stone stairs leading into a grand garden area when the main entrance, with flowers and vines scattered everywhere, creating an elegant aura which Calista couldn't wait to dive into with open arms. She held her brothers hand as she slowly approached the stairs, afraid she was going to fall, she let her twin lead as carefully and slowly as he could, making sure his sister didn't trip over her newly made dress. He knew how enthusiastic and confident she was about how she looked, it was one of the reasons why he admired her, he wouldn't tell his older brothers that he was proud of his sister but he was always making sure she never felt like he was siding with his eldest brothers, as hard as it seemed he was.

Calista tested society in the greatest of ways, some blatantly obvious; her dress sense was the talk of the town even in the Royal household, women were envious, men desired her and mamas hated her with a slight but obvious passion. Her sister was deemed undesirable to men because of Anthony's strictness but Calista was somewhat overlooked by her brother.

He verbally assaulted her addressing her sins at every chance he got but he missed all the gentlemen eye her up as if she were a piece of meat, desperate for a taste despite Lord Ramsey's invisible claim of the young woman.

Lady Whistledown would have a field day if she knew the ins and out of Calista's life and her determination not to marry. She would now and forever manage society in what she did best, she could become cold hearted to others but it wasn't in her nature, she kept her options opened, she was no naive girl.