THIRTY FIVE

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE: GASP, IT'S U
(28/06/2021)

His touch was surely missed late nights and early mornings

His touch was surely missed late nights and early mornings. It seemed everyone was finally finding their way yet she was stuck in limbo, not knowing what the next day would bring. She had been comforted too much by those surrounding her, it was only a matter of time before it all went to hell and she was expecting it, waiting for it in the dark; waiting for it to overtake and ruin her life.

It all happened when she had finished dining with Arthur and Elizabeth on a Saturday night, she had been enjoying Elizabeth's company, she was a pretty amazing woman. She had left the restaurant with them and had seen Penelope with her hood up, giving a shout over to the Featherington. She said her goodbyes to Arthur and Elizabeth and rushed to the other side of the street where Penelope had smiled tightly at her, almost irritated.

"What are you doing out this late?" She asked, noticing Pen dressed in darker colours than usual, it was odd seeing her in anything but yellow and orange.

"Taking a midnight stroll. Yourself?" She replied, clutching a bag by her side with dear life not wanting the contents to spill out and reveal herself to anyone.

"I just finished dinner with friends. Are you excited for our families dinner? The two lovebirds just can't wait to marry- it'll be good for them both don't you agree." She smothered Penelope with her words, not knowing the effect they had on her. In Calista's eyes, she was making polite conversation.

"Yes, I suppose. How's marriage treating you?"

She hadn't heard that question before, perhaps she was surrounded by friends and family who knew the love she had for Simon but she knew there would be chatter here and there regarding his absence by her side, it was expected. A week had passed since she had seen Simon. The sad truth of it, she missed him dearly. Maybe she misjudged the situation, no, that wasn't it. They both had points but both were too stubborn to fix it. It had been an irritating week to say the least, she had expected him to write but she only ever received silence.

She could have wrote to him, she could have taken the next step but she felt confused. She didn't know how to play the situation- her own future.

"It's going fabulous. My love had to return to home for business, you know how men are like." She faux chuckled, nobody would be the wiser.

"I must dash, mama will be wondering were I am at these hours. See you later, Calista." Penelope cut the conversation short as she gave a nod and began to walk away from Calista. It wasn't when the piece of paper and notes blew with a gust of wind that both Penelope and Calista both scrambled to the floor picking up the papers. Although, Calista had never of assumed what she was about to uncover but uncover a scandal upon a scandal she would.

"You're Lady Whistledown, you've got to be kidding." She gasped, grabbing the papers from Penelope's hands, not caring that it was her personal property. She read the scribbles and draft of the paper that would hit the streets tomorrow.

"Dear Readers,
All is fair in love and war,but some battles leave no victor, only a trail of broken hearts that makes us wonder if the price we pay is ever worth the fight. The ones we love have the power to inflict the greatest scars. For what thing is more fragile than the human heart?
The bond between man and bride is private, sacred. But I must tell you, I have learned that a grave fraud is afoot. As if the Featheringtons did not have enough to be dealing with, Miss Marina Thompson is with child and she has been from the very first day she arrived in our fair city. Desperate times may call for desperate measures, but I would wager many will think her actions beyond the pale. Perhaps she thought it her only option or perhaps she knows no shame. But I ask you, can the ends ever justify such wretched means?"

Calista scrunched the paper containing yet another Bridgerton scandal as this would not only ruin Marina but would include Colin into this as well. She sighed, she would never have guessed that Lady Whistledown was Penelope Featherington, a shock to the system one could call it.

"You aren't printing this, I'll be damned if you ruin Colin's future." She gritted her teeth glaring at Penelope with hurt and anger. She was Colin's best friend not to even mention Eloise's companion and was ready to dive into the depths of secrets of their family for a gossip sheet.

"I have to print something."

"I'll tell everyone who you really are, Penelope." She threatened.

"Nobody would ever believe you, you know that yourself." Penelope scoffed and Calista knew she was right. There was no way people would believe that Penelope Featherington was Lady Whistledown, her family always got slated in the gossip sheet weekly.

"Fine, here's a story for you."

It wouldn't be the first time she took care of things herself, it wouldn't be the last either.