THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY : WEDDINGS
(01/06/2021)

She truly thought she didn't want children, not after the first time she had found herself crying to her mother about being with child. Not after the first time, Arthur had supported her when she had requested her brother to get the female pill and quicken the abortion of the baby slowly growing inside of her. She had decided then and there that she wouldn't find herself in a predicament like before. She had got it embedded into her mind that, no, she would be a woman who doesn't want children.

They do exist.

When she found Simon, everything clicked together. He never wanted children either, they loved each other and so it was a match made in heaven. They didn't need to share eachother with a tiny child coming into the world.

That was until Calista had attended the fair with Simon by her side. She had found herself speaking to a woman with two toddlers who were running rings around Calista playfully. She was expecting another, her swollen stomach on display, no dresses could hide her bump. Three children, the woman was happy and glowing.

A strange and unwelcomed thought popped into her mind, imagine the tiny footsteps of children running around the hallways.

She had shrugged the thought of and had done for the last few weeks but now, her thoughts were constantly thinking about babies. It was all she could think about.

It was Daphne's wedding in a few days and the pair were to make the long journey back into town to attend the lovely wedding. She hadn't seen her family in a month and was delighted to make her return with her husband, although, the nagging thought persisted.

"Lis, are you ready to go?" Simon's voice snapped her out of her daydream, aware she was holding her luggage in her hand and he quickly took it from her. She relaxed with the weight taken off her and smiled a faux smile. She couldn't get her head around the fact that she wanted a child. Just one, tiny little baby to love and cherish. To share her heart with Simon. She let Simon lead the way as he held her hand, soothingly and soon their journey commenced.

"Daphne wrote to me a week ago but refused to share any detail of the wedding plans. She wants it all to be a surprise, even from me. It's going to be the wedding of the season, I can tell." She beamed as she sat across from Simon in their shared carriage.

He could listen to her ramble on for hours, her voice velvety to his ears.

"Yes, I believe it will be. They are a good couple." He agreed.

He was glad that Daphne had found someone to marry, a prince. The Bridgerton's were in for a grand future. They were luckier than others.

"I brought fruits, for the journey. We'll stop over at the Inn and stay overnight. You know, it sounds absurd but that certain Inn will always be sentimental to me." He muttered, not embarrassed to share emotion with Calsita.

"Imagine, we shared our first intimate moments. Look at us now."

Calista rushed into the room, gathering beside her mother and two sisters, Daphne and Eloise as they looked radiant for today's special occasion. She had a splendid few nights with her husband on their travels, Delightful Daphne was getting married, it was the most talked about occasion since her own wedding and she couldn't have been happier to enjoy the celebrations.

"Daphne, you look perfect! I can't believe my little sister is getting married today." She held back her tears of joy as she kissed her sister on the cheek.

"I can't believe she's going to be a bloody princess." Eloise muttered.

"I believe Anthony had his eyes set on the beautiful Princess Augusta. The one who attended your wedding with the Queen. I'm surprised it's not been scattered over Lady Whistledown's paper yet." Her mother was absolutely smitten, she couldn't be happier, her children were doing well for themselves.

"Cheer up, buttercup. You're next on mama's hit list." Calista bit back, playfully making her younger sister roll her eyes. It was true, both Daph and Lista were daughters were now married to men of good station, next season would be Eloise's turn to get paraded around balls looking for a suitor.

The wedding was extravagant, to say the least. It truly was fit for a Princess. Daphne deserved this. Prince Frederick was the loveliest person, Calista could tell he was madly in love with her sister and her heart swelled with happiness as she looked at the two of them kiss at the alter.

It was decided between Simon and Calista that they would stay for the wedding overnight in their now shared townhouse and return home early in the morning. She had enjoyed every minute of her sisters big day. She had spent time dancing with her younger siblings and gossiping with her older brothers, apparently Colin was head over heels for Marina Thompson which wasn't a surprise, he had been interesting in her since he had first met her. In fact, it was Calista who had encountered him to speak to her.

It wasn't until tbe devoted couple were settled into their shared chambers, she slowly took off her corset with her head buzzing as a result of some glasses of wine later that the conversation had came up, too quick to stop herself from asking the question she had been dying to ask,

"You know, I think we should try for a baby."