FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE - NEW FRIENDS, PAST LOVERS
(05/03/2021)
Edited: 24/08/2022

"The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Titled, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster. I have no doubt that the lovely Daphne will have no trouble finding a few suitors at this extravagant do tonight. Perhaps we might see the young Arthur Ramsey and Calista Bridgerton share a dance or two? Only time will time. There is no doubt that the eldest sibling has made her claim as the most fashionable lady this year, I must say congratulations.
Yours truly,
The one and only, Lady Whistledown."

"Will you make haste, Calista, we have to be at Lady Danbury's as soon as possible." Her sister, Daphne exclaimed as her sister was still in the mids of reading Lady Whistledown's gossip sheet, sitting down with her yet again, extraordinary dress on which would surely turn heads. She smiled slightly at the words written, she agreed with Lady Whistledown that her sister would no doubt find a suitor or three to occupy her.

"You're going to crease your dress, Calista. Come on, hurry along." Her mother took the gossip sheet out of her daughters hand and held out her hand. Calista almost huffed as she lightly made her way down the staircase to be greeted by her brothers.

"We'll need two bloody carriages at this rate because of Lista's bloody dress." Benedict looked at his sister who was radiant but a tad over dramatic with her style.

"Let her be, Benedict. She is her own person, after all." His mother called as they quickly headed out.

"Is that not the young lady who was caught with her gentleman last year in Lady Mottram's conservatory, unchaperoned?" Daphne whispered to Anthony as she entered the Danbury ball with her sister, brother and mother at her sides.

Lady Danbury had outdone herself yet again, the decor was outstanding, light music playing, the aura of the ball was just right for all those coming out in Society. Calista gently looked over her shoulder to the woman who they were talking about, she was beautiful.

"She's lucky her gentleman agreed
to a hasty marriage after she went and ruined herself." Anthony scoffed, eyeing Calista as she gulped with caution. She had been warned, many a time to not have the same fate as all the other lightskirts.

"Heavens, they're all staring, mama." Calista blushed as people had started to recognise the two beauties of this year. Envy, that's what the room felt like. All the mamas had yearned for daughters as beautiful as the Bridgerton daughters.

"Allow them to come to you, Daphne." Calista whispered in her ear and she took her sisterly advice to heart.

A fine young gentleman appeared in front of the four of them, particularly interested in Daphne who had been named the diamond of this year. Daphne was secretly thrilled to have suitors talking to her already.

It was no secret that Calista would have less suitors, most of them aware of Lord Ramsey's infinite affection for the beauty. She zoomed out of conversation, almost bored, wanting to head over the the food.

"I believe you have already been introduced
to my daughter Daphne, Lord Ambrose."

"Uh, yes. We met at your brother's levee."