FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN - DANCING WITH YOU
(28/03/2021)

Calista embraced the hushed, peaceful morning that she was blessed with, it was very different to afternoons when chatter was at full capacity and children ran around daft looking for fun

Calista embraced the hushed, peaceful morning that she was blessed with, it was very different to afternoons when chatter was at full capacity and children ran around daft looking for fun. The streets of London would soon be filled to the brim with people working and what not. She gazed over to her sister who was still in slumber, innocent and not a frown in sight. Light snores captured her for a moment and she hoped Anthony would stop this dreadful engagement, if not she supposed so would have to take matters into her own hands- somehow. She wasn't sure what she would do but she would never allow her sister to be married of to a man who she doesn't want.

"Her Majesty's royal stationery. She has written to you, my lady." The maid quickly entered the room later on in the day when the girls were getting dressed casually for yet another lovely day in the family gardens to spend quality time as a family, Violet wanted afternoon tea.

"What does it say, Mama?" Calista questioned as she attempted to clasp pearls around Daphne's neck, testing out what accessories she would wear to impress suitors at tonight's ball.

"I am invited to a private tea with the queen in two days' time." Violet joyfully screeched in excitement.

"Never mind the pearls or rubies.You need to wear the family diamonds tonight." Calista smiled at her sister as she handed the pearls back to her mother.

"Mama, this is all so exciting." Daphne said as she approached the seat situated in their shared bedroom. Calista on the other hand, latched her fingers onto the dress that she had made for this evening.

Her thoughts took her back to last night, she had done something terrible. She had slept with Arthur, of course she had. How could she not. It was what she knew and she done it best.

The siblings were out in the garden as Calista sat with a parasol covering her pale skin, not wanting to get burnt before the ball. She had a half eaten scone situated beside her, wanting to keep the rest of it for later just before she headed out for the evening. Colin was crouched down beside her, reading literature out loud to his sisters, particularly Eloise who enjoyed reading.

Daphne was playing ball with her the rest of her siblings, Gregory's giggles were hysterical as he and Hyacinth were telling each other jokes. Calista was struggling to concentrate on Colin's word as she found her younger siblings too funny to not giggle herself. She abruptly stood up, leaving behind her scone and ran towards her sisters and brother,

"Pass me the ball."

They listened to her and Daphne quickly threw the ball her way and smiled at her sister taking part in silly games. It was a shock to the system that Calista would play games with the rest of her siblings but today she was in a pleasant mood even with Anthony.