prologue

"eren." you quietly spoke, looking down at the ground and twirling your shoelaces around your fingers.

he hummed in response and looked at you with such a loving gaze. even if he didn't mean to, it always seemed like he would look at you like a painting.

just so focused, intrigued, and beautifully. you were the most beautiful thing to him.

as he waited for you to talk, he scooted closer, placing his hand on your shoulder.

it took a couple seconds before you got comfortable.

"do you think that one day you might have to make a decision that can affect everything? like love, the way you love... the people you love and the people who love you."

"i already have to make those kind of decisions... like everyday?" he chuckled, "-everything i do affects the way people look at me. if people decide to care what happens to me but luckily... you care. you decided to care about someone like me so with you, i'll always feel loved."

why did he have to talk to you like that? so sweet and kind. always with a soft tone or playful. he was usually different when he was with you or maybe... her was himself or the person he just always wanted to be.

the way he talked about it, with so much joy. it just made you feel worse, more scared? sad?

that's the first.

"that's not what i mean."

from the tone of your voice he could tell you were serious, he had that feeling from the beginning from the way you never met eye contact and didn't lean back into his touch when he placed his arm on your shoulder.

it was just the idea of having a serious conversation and not like what you'll do on a battlefield but if you fell out of love or anything to do with death. just that is what he was afraid of when it came to you.

what could you possible want to tell him? it filled him with anxiety.

"mhm."

"with everything that's happened... that's happening. you might be stuck in a position to save one thing... to save one person over everyone else. with our enemies knowing everything they could know about your relationships with people and especially with me."

you finally looked at him and he saw the expression on your face.

it was so dejected.

your lips quivered and your eyes stared elsewhere.

he slowly brought his hand up to your lips, his thumbing brushing against your lower lip before kissing you.

you won't ever be able to perfectly explain the way he kissed you.

it was so warm and soft, so passionate and delicate. it was almost like he was scared to kiss you.

"you might have to—"

"i won't. (y/n), everything i do is for you and my friends. so you can live a better life. even if that day does happen i'll make sure i never have to choose between anyone. i love you, always and forever."

maybe he was right? maybe what you dreamt of that night was a nightmare? just a really bad nightmare...

right?

· · ──────·本·──────· ·

you are all in for a ride 😉