how you get the girl

James politely knocked on the white door and heard a faint 'come in' from the other side. He opened the door and Caroline was watching him from her bed. Her delicate face broke out into a grin and she patted the spot next to her, signalling him to sit there.

The Potter boy closed the door only half-way and sat down next to Caroline. "I'm sure you've heard but I fucked up with Lily," James said, "big time."

"I heard," she said. Even though he cheated on Lily, James was still her friend and she wasn't going to choose sides when she didn't know both sides of the story.

"I've tried everything and nothing's worked. Do you know how I could get her back?" he asked hopefully. He really had tried everything and James thought that maybe going to Lily's best friend would help.

"Lily and I watched this movie," Caroline said with a faint smile on her lips. "She thought their love story was everything. The guy fucked up just like you had and he waited outside her window every day with a, um, a boombox in his hands."

"And every day, he would play her favorite song and she'd always close the windows and shut the blinds but she could still hear him from inside. Then one day, it was raining really bad but he was still standing out there. And the girl was too nice to leave him out there no matter how much she hated him so she opened the door to tell him off."

Caroline smiled to herself, in her own thoughts, and James watched her expectantly. Neither of them knew that Remus was standing outside her room, listening to the whole conversation. "She asked him if he was insane," Caroline said. "And he told her it's been a long six months and he were too afraid to tell her what he wanted."

"It's been two months actually," James corrected.

"Yeah," Caroline smiled sadly, "two months. Remind her how it used to be, with small kisses in broom closets and reading together."

"We did neither of those things but continue," the bespectacled boy demanded.

"And then told her that he wanted her and he would wait forever if he had to. He broke her heart but then he offered to put it back together. I think you should tell her exactly that. Lily might not seem like it but she loves it when she get to live out scenes that have happened in movies. She says it makes her feel like a princess."

Caroline glanced at the boy who was so caught up in his own thoughts. Suddenly, he picked his head up and grinned at her. "You really think that'll work, Care?" he asked.

"Yeah," Caroline nodded, "it'll work."

James hugged her tightly and Caroline embraced it even though she felt like she was suffocating. "Thank you, thank you so much."

"Yeah, no problem." The bespectacled boy left Caroline's room much happier than before, so happy that he didn't even notice the other boy in the hallway as he passed.

Remus entered Caroline's room and locked the door behind him, double checking to make sure it was locked. "Remus, what're you-"

"Caroline, I've tried everything to get you back," Remus insisted, cutting her off and walking towards her. "I know that makes me a horrible person because you're with Sirius now but everyone can see that you guys are having problems. We would never have those problems if we were together."

"I would, I would like to talk to you and have conversations with you. I like hearing your voice, Caroline. We could talk and we got only shag when you feel like it and we could read books together and it would, it would be perfect," the sandy-haired boy said desperately.

"You cheated on me, Remus. That hurt," Caroline stated bluntly. "I can't just pretend like it hasn't happened."

"I was drunk and I was stupid. Darling, I thought it was you. The girl I was kissing, I thought it was you," Remus clarified. "And I asked if that girl was Caroline and she told me that Caroline wasn't her given name and I was like oh okay because your given name isn't Caroline, it's Alexandra, so I thought-"