fights and apologies

James slumped on the crimson couch in the Gryffindor common room and watched Remus, who sat in his comfy armchair, reading his book. Peter sat on the steps leading to the boys dormitory and immediately hopped off of the steps and rolled onto the floor when he heard the sound of shouting.

"Here they come," James muttered. The sound of footsteps became louder and so did the voices, grabbing the rest of the Marauders' attention.

"Well you can just leave because I don't give a fuck about you!" Sirius' angry voice rang out. "Never have! Never will!"

"Who ever said I give a shit about you?!" Caroline countered hotly. "You never share your feelings or communicate! I'd rather go find someone else that actually wants to talk to me!"

"Well then I'll go find a girl that will want to shag me all the time!" Sirius shouted.

"You're vile and disgusting!"

"So are you!" the Black boy shot back.

Sirius and Caroline were not people who started fights or even involved themselves in fights but they always seem to be fighting since the moment they started to date, never a happy moment. Their relationship went to shit after just two days, when Caroline decided to hang out with Regulus in her dorm. After that, Sirius became angrier by the day and Caroline started to shout back instead of simply being yelled at.

Eventually, the other Marauders had a specific protocol when Caroline and Sirius were in the same room that wasn't a classroom. They all waited outside and pretended to be interested in magazines and books while eavesdropping on the fight that was happening inside the room.

Caroline's normally soft footsteps were loud stomps and she appeared in the Gryffindor common room. The blonde quickly looked around and realized that the other Marauders had heard their fight. None of them confronted Caroline about it but Peter watched his younger sister with sad eyes, knowing that he couldn't do anything.

A hot tear rolled down Caroline's cheek and she wiped it with the corner of her sleeve, wetting the fabric in the process. She turned on her heel and raced up the stairs leading towards the girls dormitories.

Remus discreetly lifted his head from his book and watched her go, wishing that he could be with Caroline again and comfort her, even if it was just as a friend. Sirius sat down next to James on the couch, snapping Remus out of his deep thoughts.

"You've been after her for ages and now that you finally have her, you're yelling at her. That's a little fucked up, don't you think?" James asked.

"She's being bloody annoying," Sirius replied vaguely.

"I still don't think it's right. I don't think any girl deserves to be treated like that," James pointed out, "especially Caroline."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Sirius snapped. "Especially Caroline? Is she supposed to get some privilege because she's Peter's sister?" He glared at Peter and the Pettigrew boy immediately looked down, apparently more interested in the carpeting than the conversation.

"No, I just don't think that Caroline deserves that. She's smart and she's kind and she's a genuinely good person. You don't find many people like that and now that you have, you're treating her like shit." James shrugged his shoulders and looked at Sirius. "I'm not trying to get in a fight or anything, Padfoot."

"Well by the way you were talking, it sounded like it," Sirius scoffed.

"I think you should go apologize to Caroline," Remus advised. "She's clearly not one who starts fights and she doesn't like when people shout at her so-"