strawberries & cigarettes

"Okay, today, I am going out," Sirius announced. "And by the time I'm back tonight, I want you two to be bonding and much closer than before."

Caroline and Remus awkwardly looked at each other and Sirius stood up from the dining room table. "But, Sirius," Caroline protested, "how are you supposed to leave the house if everyone thinks you're a murderer?"

"I have a solution to that," Sirius replied casually. He still hadn't told Caroline about being an illegal Animagus because if he did, she would know that he was John Lennon. As far as Caroline knew, John Lennon found an owner, which is why she didn't see him in the dandelion field anymore. 

Sirius left the room and Caroline heard the sound of the front door slamming shut, signifying that Sirius had left. Caroline's attention turned to Remus and they just awkwardly stared at each other. 

"Right-"

"I'm just gonna-"

They spoke at the same time and got up from their seats at the table at the same time. The two both held their dirty plates and silently made their way over to the kitchen. 

Remus started to do the dishes and put them into the dishwasher they bought. Remus tried but he couldn't teach Sirius or Caroline how to properly use the dishwasher, despite being able to teach them how to use the microwave. 

Caroline walked towards the doorway of the kitchen but was rudely disrupted when an invisible force prevented her from doing so. The blonde tried again but it didn't let her leave. She banged on the invisible wall and let out an annoyed groan.

Remus turned around, wondering why she was still there. Caroline didn't look at him as she walked over to the refrigerator and saw a note being held up by a small magnet.

I honestly didn't know which room you two would walk into so it was a shot in the dark. I'm such a good guesser. Have fun! - Sirius a.k.a. the best boyfriend and best mate ever!

"He's trapped us here until he gets back," Caroline realized aloud. 

"What?"

"He's trapped us in the kitchen together," she huffed, handing him the note. Remus quickly dried his hands on a dish towel and grabbed the note from her hands while starting the dishwasher. His brown eyes quickly flickered across the note and he let out a groan, matching Caroline's from a few seconds ago.

"We should just come clean," Remus replied, "and tell him about our relationship-"

"No, we should not. We should never do that," Caroline said while running her fingers through her long hair. "Besides, it was years ago and it doesn't even matter-"

"It clearly does because Sirius has noticed our distance," he sighed, cutting Caroline off. "I know it was long ago but we should act like close friends instead of strangers. Sirius just wants what's best for us."

Remus sat on the white tiled floor with his back leaning against the refrigerator door and Caroline reluctantly sat next to him. "I suppose we could act like friends while he's around," Caroline shrugged.

Remus nodded, wanting to be a mature adult rather than the reckless lovesick teenager he once was. But his heart was aching and he felt like dying. 

The two sat around for hours, watching the clouds cover the sun in the window. They ate snacks, Remus put the dishes away, they smoked. Caroline even tried to microwave one of those popcorn packets without Remus' help and only some of the popcorn was burnt.

Finally, as the sun started to set, they found themselves sitting against the refrigerator once again, just staring into space. 

"Did you read the book I got you? War and Peace?" Remus clarified. Caroline had read it but if she admitted to reading it, Remus would know that she saw the promise ring.