beginning of the summer

3 months later

"Lily, we have to do it."

"We do not!" Lily responded hotly. "We can not!"

Caroline let out a dramatic sigh and stood up, moving over to the compartment door. She shut the blinds and locked the door while pulling out her pocket knife. "The Marauders have probably done it," Caroline smiled.

"We are not the Marauders," Lily pointed out. "We're destroying school property."

"Technically, this isn't school property," Marlene smirked. "Its the train to the school."

"Exactly," the Pettigrew girl agreed. She went back to her seat in the compartment and began engraving her initials with the pocket knife.

"I'm a Prefect!" Lily cried out. "I can't watch this! 10 points from Gryffindor! Wait, that's my house!" The redhead began fighting with herself and Marlene put her hands on Lily's shoulders, shaking her entire body.

"Lily, we are going to engrave our initials in this train compartment. That's final," Marlene said confidently. Caroline finished with her initials and smiled at her artwork, then handed the pocket knife to Marlene.

Marlene carved her initials at a much faster pace than Caroline, mostly because she combined the M with the K so it looked like IVK. Caroline and Marlene turned to Lily, who was nervously biting her lip. Marlene held the pocket knife out to Lily and patiently waited.

"Come on, Lils," Caroline cooed. Lily let out an exaggerated sigh and grabbed the pocket knife. She hesitantly carved the initials L.E. into the wood next to the bench and dropped the pocket knife onto the floor when she realized what she did.

"Oh, we are so dead!" Lily cried out. "They're going to expel us from Hogwarts!"

Marlene rolled her eyes and gave Caroline a knowing look, but the blonde just giggled in response. "Okay, I am going to go say goodbye to Sirius," Caroline said.

"What? You're leaving us for lover boy?" Lily gawked. The redhead carefully closed the knife and handed it back to Caroline.

"I'll be back in 10 minutes," the Pettigrew girl laughed. "Would you guys like to come along? I know Lily wants to say goodbye to her precious James."

"I'll see him later," Lily scoffed. "I can't have him thinking that he's important to me. We've only been dating for a week."

"Whatever," Caroline giggled, "I'll be back." She left the compartment and moved towards the back of the train, where the unmarked Marauders' compartment was. They had the same compartment every year with the same four boys.

She politely knocked on the door and there was some shuffling around and some shouting before Sirius opened the door. "Hello, princess," he greeted. "Do you want to come inside?"

"Absolutely not!" James shouted from inside the compartment. "You guys are just gonna snog and no one wants to see that! Find a different compartment!" 

"Sod off, Prongs," Sirius retorted. Caroline giggled and reached up, flattening Sirius' wild hair. He chuckled and stepped out of the compartment, closing the door behind him.

There was an empty compartment nearby so Caroline and Sirius slipped into that one. Caroline shut the door and giddily kissed him, wrapped her arms around his neck. She roamed his long hair with her fingers and Sirius put his hands on the small of her back, smiling into the kiss.

Caroline finally pulled away and smiled at him. "I love snogging you," Sirius admitted. "I'm gonna miss you over the summers."

"I'm going to miss you too," Caroline said. "But we'll write to each other and it'll be just like we're around each other. I can send you Howlers if you'd like so you can hear my voice."