🌙3|Mysteries

💎

And that's my story. I'm in New York trying to overcome my grief over mom's death. But I had to find out what happened and further my studies. After the call from the police, I needed to go back and get the results of my mom's autopsy. The thought of going back to Miami to my misery made me boorish.

I took my time to pack up and get ready to confront what I abandoned a year ago. I stood at the station in a long black coat reaching my knees, black heels, crop top and sea blue jeans. I was lucky to board the first bus that approached me.

The steps on the bus were slippery due to the snow so I took careful steps,sitting closer to the window. I crossed my legs and fixed earpiece to draw back from reality. Due to the cold air, I squeezed myself at a corner to keep warm.

The journey was long, quiet, cool and chilly. The bus moved slowly in the streets. I saw people passing. Some were quarreling and others were making up. But what drew my attention was a group of people gathered around something. A little boy sitting by me was crying and calling out to his mom who was absent.

I took out a chocolate and gave it to him. He smiled, "Thanks". I held his cheeks and sqaushed it with a smile on my face. "Welcome."

All of a sudden the bus stopped. I thought we were there already, so I stood up with others but the bus sparked again with immense speed. My heart began to beat irregularly as I watched outside. The speed was too much to even look at one scenery for even a second.

The passengers were shouting out their wits. "Stop the bus!" we all yelled towards the driver when we reached the bridge. The screeching noise from beneath the train made it quite difficult to reach the driver.

As a passenger tried to get to the driver's seat, she let out a loud scream finding the seat empty. What was even more mind blowing was the driver wasn't even in the car. The others began to tremble in fear I was taken aback by this. What's happening in this town? I looked outside the window but it was totally blank.

"Aaaahhh!" we yelled while pushing the door,but it didn't budge. I got up, closed my eyes and drew my mind out of the bus imagining the worst when I remembered my mom. Tears streamed down as I waited for the worst. Screeching sounds were heard from the car tires as the car moved to and fro.

When I opened my eyes, I realized I was outside the car, a few meters from the bridge. But the bus was burning fiercely as the people cried out in pain. "What? Why am I here? Someone help!" I yelled running to call for help. I saw the fire patrols approaching with ambulances.

Parking under the bridge, a nurse stepped out quickly and rushed to me. My trembling head jerks up when someone tapped my shoulder.

Staring at the burning bus, the fire patrols dashed towards it with their truck. Gathering the bodies, my eyes flickered at each one. None of the bodies brought out survived. Apart from having burns all over, their bodies were burnt beyond recognition.

"You're lucky you came out. You're bleeding in your arm. Follow me," she said holding my hand. Hesitating, I stare at the stretchers being dragged into the ambulance. Quite a number of people had started to gather around whispering.

"What about them. Were there any survivors?" I cried when I thought of the little boy. "They're doing their best. Now let's treat you," she consoled. I looked back one last time wiping my tears.

I went with her willingly watching them extinguishing the car. She sat me down in one of the rooms in the hospital and applied antibiotics before she dried it with a bundle of cotton.

"You should take care of this would for the next three days," she prescribed while putting some medications in my hand.

"In case you feel any pain, take these." she added and smiled at me finishing the last touches.