🌙14|Accusations

Running my hands through my hair, I let out a sigh and walked to her. But she took steps back right after each step I took towards her. "We need to talk." Scoffing, she nodded for a moment and glared at me laughing.

  "Talk? You're right! We need to talk," she muttered. I bit my lips and turned to her with a melancholy look in my eyes. Slowly, I marched to her and sighed.

"I just found out from Tricia. You should have told me-"

  "And then what? You'll become the best friend and let him go? It's obvious you like him too. You won't do that!" Looking away for a second, I couldn't believe what I was hearing from her. Was it obvious? Have I really fallen for him too?

  Grabbing her bag from her locker, she banged the door and forced a smile on her face. "How would you understand me? After all, you think the world revolves around you. Everyone likes you. It's difficult to mingle with the others because you're the center of attraction," Kate argued while dumping a pile of papers from her bag on to the table.

  Confusion lurked through my eyes as I traced her swift movements. Turning to the pile of papers on the table, I saw countless bank account withdrawals on the table. On each of them, the number gradually reduced to the lowest amount. As I sank my eyes deeper into the papers, I saw the last withdrawal at today

  "What are these?" Sighing, she raised one with her left hand and plastered it in the air for me to see everything perfectly.

"Those are yours right? I wonder how everyone's going to take this if they find out you're penniless. Do you know how much I try to fit in the crowd? Everything was alright until you came back. People started to notice me. No one bullied me for being poor, but everything ended after you came back!"

  Holding back my tears, I looked up into her eyes with a mixture of emotions. "You can't do that. I have nothing to do with you being bullied. We all took you as a good friend-"

  "-friend? It's true. I got other friends because I became your friend. But you never actually minded me after meeting Tricia and Jess. I'm just like a passing wind. How many times do you look for me in a week? Day? Do you even know my full name?"

  Lowering my eyes, I realized she was right. "Kate-"

  "It's Cooper. Kate Cooper. I only got noticed when you left. But as soon as you came back, Tricia and Jess do not interact with me much.

  You don't have to lie to me. I saw you kissing him at the school garden yesterday. You know I live quite close to the school."

  Swallowing a gulp in my throat, my head jerked up in desperation. With a heave of sigh, I pursed my lips. "I'm sorry. I didn't know-"

  "-you don't have to apologize. It's my fault for expecting so much from my first friend!" Throwing her bag over her shoulder, she turned around and started walking out through the main exit. Breathing heavily, I grabbed my bag and run after her.

  "Wait," I alluded while chasing after her. Standing at the exit of Beverly Hills, I wondered what had become of our friendship. Clinging to my chest from the run, I hung on to the wall throwing my eyes around. But I didn't find her no matter how much I searched the exit.

  I ran back inside to pack my books. I heard weird noises coming from the principal's office. Petrified from yesterday's encounter, I didn't bother to check. I quickly took my phone from the table and run out. I stopped by the main exit when a beep from my phone lurked through my ears.

Lowering my head, I unlocked the phone and saw a message from the manager of the City Mall. "You have a night shift. Miss this and lose your employment to someone."