Charlie Weasley • Mended Hearts (part one)

Charlie Weasley

In a group of sobbing red heads, one brunette stood out. She laid across the chest of her limp boyfriend, sobbing into his shirt and begging him to come back. This only added to the rest of the family's grief, hearing Mia's loud wails. Her best friend, the love of her life... gone. They had such a bright future. They were going to get married, have kids. Fred wanted seven. She couldn't live without him. George couldn't live without him.

The days after the funeral were hard. George and Mia had stayed at the Burrow, but eventually had to return home after an extended stay with Molly and Arthur. Mia lived with George and Fred at the flat, which was always filled with laughter, pranks and happiness. Now it was cold. Mia hadn't made the bed the day they left, as the days surrounding the Battle of Hogwarts were chaotic. She went in their bedroom, which was just off the front door.

There it was. The sight that broke her even further. Fred's spot in the bed, sheets still wrinkled with his imprint as if he'd just got up to go to the bathroom. Mia collapsed to the ground, thinking of all the nights they spent in that bed. All the nights that stayed up late, Mia introducing him to muggle television. His lips on hers. She hugged her knees and cried.

"I can't stay here, Georgie. I can't." She sobbed as George sat down next to her. He sat quietly for a moment before reaching out his arm, broken hisself.

"Come here." He sobbed, Mia turned around and fell into George's chest, for a moment feeling as if she was in Fred's arms again. She cherished the moment for a second, before pulling away. She couldn't get that idea in her head: George was not Fred. Fred was not coming back.

The two didn't leave the floor. They sat and talked for hours, reminiscing and grieving together. A green flame erupting from the fire place broke them out of their conversation.

"Hello." Charlie said softly, knowing the two with swollen eyes sitting just outside Mia and Fred's door. "I've just came to check on you." Mia smiled weakly at Charlie, while George rose silently and embraced his brother in a tight hug. This is when George truly broke down.

"How are we supposed to make it without him mate? How is Mia supposed to sleep in their bed, night after night? How am I allowed to live, but he isn't?" George sobbed. Charlie held his younger brother and stroked his head as if he was a child; he was crying hisself, but tried to remain strong for Mia and George. Mia gripped onto the kitchen sink and stared out the window, remembering. As the memories flushed back to her, she whispered the same thing she told George. This time, she didn't speak to anyone in particular - maybe just speaking to herself. Fred had been dead for a month, a month she and George had stayed at the Burrow. Coming into this flat was just like when she was told Fred was dead for the first time. "I can't stay here." She whispered.

Charlie and George exchanged a look, looking at the brunette in the kitchen. "That's actually why I came." Charlie suggested, "I need help. I've got more dragons than I can handle just by myself, so I was going to see if you'd like to join." He turned to George, "Mia, you're invited too of course."

George chewed on Charlie's words for a moment. He looked around the apartment, sighing as he remembered the first night he and Fred spent here before Mia joined soon after she graduated. The three had the best time there. "I can't.. I have the shop and..." George ran a hang through his hair, his voice weak with a sob that threatened to break through. "Fred wanted the shop to succeed. I can't just abandon it."

Mia nodded, as if she was agreeing. George would need help with the shop. "Mia," George said, placing a hand on each of her shoulders. "Go. I'll be fine. Angelina and Ron can help... you," George chuckled through tears, "Fred always joked about how you loved magical creatures more than anything. He'd want you to be happy."

"I'll put you to work. Keep your mind off things." Charlie shrugged.

"Alright." Mia sniffled, hoping that caring for dragons would keep her mind busy.