In Another Life (Regulus Black) {requested} (part one)

Regulus Black was like taking a sip of hot tea. It was delicious, but it burnt like hell and left a lasting numb feeling on the tongue for several days. Amelia had grown up with and around the Black family and was all too family with the last effect Regulus could leave on a person, specifically, a girl.

Regulus wasn't a flirt, unlike his brother Sirius. He had eyes for one girl and one girl only: Amelia. Growing up together, being both of pureblood lineage, they always joked they'd get married some day. As they grew, and hormones flared, the two fell in love at the young age of sixteen; which was also the year Regulus pledged his loyalty to the Dark Lord. It wasn't much of a surprise to anyone in the family, they'd all hoped the friendship would turn out this way too continue the pureblood line. The other event that year didn't Amelia, either.

She knew it was coming. Regulus was proud to be a death eater and actually had been encouraging her to do the same. That conversation was precisely what was keeping Amelia awake, lying flat on her back in her bedroom. They were home for the summer holiday. She rolled to her side, pulling Regulus' jumper tightly around her small frame. He wasn't much bigger than her, being thin himself; nevertheless, the jumper felt big and warm and safe. A single tear rolled down her cheek as she thought of the irony of that; Regulus was anything but safe.

Amelia's conscious ate her alive. She'd been thinking of Andromeda and Sirius, who'd escaped the side of dark magic. Andromeda had seen past blood purity and married a muggle and Sirius, while single, made it clear what side of the argument he stood on.

Where did she stand?

Amelia always assumed she'd stand with her family, regardless of how they felt. She knew she'd proudly look down on muggles. Mudbloods. The word was like something bitter in her mind, she knocked the thought out of her mind quickly. They were innocent people; witches and wizards just like purebloods. Why did he matter if they were muggle born? Does Regulus know what he's doing? Does he know what the dark lord stands for; or is he naive like Amelia, proud to make the family proud?

This is where the comparison to tea came: Regulus was delicious, a loving man with goals and wealthy family. He loved Amelia with every ounce of his being; she knew one day, he'd be a lovely father and husband and would only give Amelia and their children the best. But, that's where the burn came in: he was a death eater.

She rose out of bed and looked in the mirror, Regulus' Slytherin jumper clinging to her frame. She needed to talk to the people who knew Regulus and loved him, before he was a death eater. The people who did not share their family's views: Andy and Sirius. She didn't know where Sirius was staying - she assumed with the Potters - but she knew exactly where Andy lived with her husband, Ted.

She threw a cloak over her shoulders and snuck off, walking directly past their house elf, Penny. Penny didn't say anything as Amelia creeped by. As soon as she was out of the house and out of earshot, she apparated to Andy's house. It was late, she knew better than to come here at this hour - but she needed help. The help she knew only Andy could give.

Her slender hand knocked on the door, tears threatening to spill. What would Andy say? She tried to picture Andy's warm face, knowing she would welcome Amelia in with warm arms. Suddenly, the door was opened by a sleepy Ted.

"Amelia? What're you doing here?" He yawned, ushering Amelia in out of the rain. He was a handsome man, a caring nature about him. Amelia understood why Andy fell in love. She was surprised he knew her name, but she assumed Andy had told him all about her former family and friends.

"I-I-...I need to speak with Andy." Amelia said, tears finally flowing. She broke out into a hysterical sob. Ted's eyes grew wide and he scurried up the stairs to fetch his wife. She ran down the stairs a few seconds later, at lightning speeds. Ted followed with a sleepy violet haired toddler in arms.

"Millie, Millie dear what's wrong?" Andy said, embracing the young girl. Amelia felt warm and calm at the nickname Andy had called her since she was little.

"Andy, I-" she continued to cry, struggling to catch her breath. Andy stroked her back softly and held her in her arms, as if she was holding Nymphadora. "Regulus."

"Is he hurt?" Andy gasped.

"No." Amelia cried. "I don't want to believe this anymore. I don't want to think I'm better. I don't want to take the dark mark. Regulus already has." Amelia sniffled. "I don't know what to do, Andy. I don't want to lose him, or my family. I don't think he realizes what he's done."

Andy shared a knowing glance with Ted. "Yes, Sirius told me." She sat on the couch and pulled Amelia down with her. Ted laid Nymphadora, who was back asleep, in an arm chair near by. "Would you make some tea, darling?" Andy asked sweetly. Ted nodded and scurried off to the kitchen.

The three sat in the warm living room for half the night discussing beliefs, blood purity, blood equality, and Regulus. "I've realized I don't want to believe like they do. All I've ever wanted is to make my parents proud and have a life with Regulus; but is it worth it? Muggleborn witches and wizards are some of the best I've ever met. My family will shun me, just like yours did you and Sirius." Amelia confessed, feeling like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Andy smiled sympathetically and squeezed Amelia s hand, remembering how she felt when she was kicked out.

After a long moment of silence, Ted spoke. "I know you have a good heart. I know Regulus does too. Whatever you decide, we will support you. Follow your heart, Amelia. Do what you think is right." He placed a fatherly arm over Amelia's shoulders. "I know you may lose Regulus and you may lose your family, but do what you want. You're your own person." He pulled her into a hug as Andy smiled, totally in love with the man before her. "And know that if you decide to stand against them, there is an extra room upstairs with your name on it. Andy and I will take you in. Right, dear?"

"Absolutely." Andy smiled wide.