Charlie Weasley • Mended Hearts (Part Two)

Mia fit in perfectly in Romania. She studied hard to give the dragons the best card possible; Charlie had told her time and time again she was a natural. Mia missed Fred, she thought about him often and kept in touch with Molly and George; both of whom were ecstatic she was doing so well. She'd never forget Fred, and would always love him, but working with these dragons kept her mind busy and eased her pain. Slowly, George and Mia both found it easier to live each day.

"Mia, come on. Go to bed. You've been up since dawn." Charlie groaned, rubbing his eyes. They'd been up since sunrise tending to a Swedish short snout named Lizzie, who was an elderly dragon. She hadn't been feeling well and it troubled Mia greatly; she'd spent all free time that day, including meal breaks, studying what could be wrong with Lizzie.

"I'm just going to check on her one more time-" Mia began, but Charlie shook his head, laughing slightly.

"Rest, Mia. You won't be able to care for her fully if you don't care for yourself." He said, watching as Mia's eyes flickered to the sink full of dishes. She'd been here a year and he knew all too well what she was about to do; use the housework as an excuse to stay up. They divided responsibilities equally and Charlie didn't baby her, but he could tell when she was getting wore down. Today was one of those days. "I'll clean." He said quickly, "go to bed."

Mia grumbled and went to bed. She slipped into her pajamas and into her bed. She was worried about Lizzie, but so exhausted she almost immediately went to sleep. Charlie finished up the housework, checking once more on Mia before he went to bed hisself. He poked his head in her room and chuckled, she'd literally changed clothes and collapsed into bed. As she snored loudly, Charlie gathered her dirty clothes and covered her up. His heart skipped when he seen her peaceful, beautiful face. Charlie quickly shook his head. He'd been having these feelings more and more frequently, but suppressed them. Mia was Fred's girl, she'd always been. He felt as if he was betraying Fred by even thinking those thoughts.

Mia woke up the late the next morning to the smell of coffee. She groaned, loving the smell but knowing Charlie Weasley drank his coffee black and strong. Mia was a cream and sugar kind of person. She pulled herself out of bed and stretched, walking to the kitchen where Charlie was cooking breakfast.

"Goodmorning." He said quietly, trying to forget the feelings he felt the night prior. The fact she was wearing a spaghetti strap tank top was not helping.

"Morning." She yawned, "drinking tar this morning as usual?" She groaned. Charlie chuckled and poured her a cup. Mia snarled her at the dark brew in the old glass mug. "Merlin, what time is it?!" She yelled, realizing his bright it was outside. She'd overslept. "Lizzie-"

"Is fine. Back to her normal self. Elderly dragons take spells sometimes." Charlie explained, dropping some eggs into Mia's plate. "And.. it's noon." He grinned, pulling a surprise for Mia out of the fridge.

It was the most beautiful sight she'd seen in a long time: french vanilla coffee cream. Mia's eyes lit up like a child on Christmas. "Where did you find this?" Flavored coffee cream was a muggle thing; Fred had always made a trip to London for her to stock up on it.

"Snuck off this morning while you were snoozing." He poured it into her cup, "and I brewed the coffee a little weaker this morning, so you wouldn't cry." He joked, sipping his cup of black coffee. Mia smiled warmly at Charlie, his strong arm dusty from his trip to the barn. She stared at it for a second, then to his face - his chiseled features. Charlie Weasley made her breath catch; a feeling she hadn't had since she met Fred. A feeling she'd never had for Charlie before, until the last few weeks.

"I..." she began, flustered and guilty. She could imagine Fred rolling over in his grave for her having feelings for Charlie. "I need to see George." She said quickly, leaving her cup steaming on the table.

"Mia-" Charlie jumped up quickly, but Mia had already apparated out of the house. Charlie flopped back down in his seat, confused. Did he do something wrong?

George was in the middle of helping a customer when Mia appeared before them, disheveled in her pajamas. "Mia?" George asked.

"We need to talk." Mia said quickly, side eyeing the customer and smiling gently. George looked at her confused.

"Ron?" George called, "Can you finish up here?" Ron obliged, hoping down the stairs to finish assisting the customer.

The two went to the backroom and shut the door. "Mia, what's-" George began, but Mia promptly broke out into a hysterical sob. She ran to George and cried into his chest.

"He bought me coffee cream." She sobbed. George was confused.

"And? You love coffee cream?" George asked, confused as to why she was so upset Charlie had bought her that. She let go of George and began pacing.

"You don't understand, Georgie. He bought me coffee cream.. he brewed his coffee weaker... he makes sure I rest. He-" she put her face into her hands. "I think I'm in love with Charlie." She sobbed loudly, Ron and the customer exchanging a confused look as they both could hear her muffled sobs from the front.

George pondered on her words for a moment. He'd just opened his mouth to speak when she started again. "All I can think about is Freddie being so upset with me... I feel like I'm betraying him." George's eyes welled up with tears. He knew exactly how much Mia loved Fred, how she would've went to the ends of the earth of him. He knew how much Fred loved Mia, and always wanted her safe and happy. George grabbed her face in his hands.

"Listen to me." He said sternly, "Fred loved you. But he's not coming back." George's heart broke saying the words. "He'd want you to be happy. Sure, if he was alive and you fell in love with Charlie, it'd be different. But, let me speak for Fred when I say.. Charlie is exactly the kind of man Fred would choose for you." Mia nodded, still sobbing. "Talk to mum. Ask her opinion. She'll tell you the same thing."

Mia took George's advice and flew to the Burrow. Flying always relaxed her, it made her feel closer to Fred. They'd played quidditch together their whole time at Hogwarts. She prayed for an answer. She opened the door, but heard a conversation going on inside and didn't want to interrupt. Mia quietly stood at the door until she felt like she should enter.

"I don't know what to do, mum." A familiar voice whispered. Charlie? Mia thought. Why was he here? "I love her. I've tried to suppress it, I've tried to fight it... but when her eyes light up when she sees the dragons, her dedication... her laugh. Fred would hate me." He sniffled softly. Mia's peeked around the corner, watching as Molly reached across the table and took her son's hand.

Tears in her own eyes, she repeated George's words: "Fred would hate you." She sniffled, laughing slightly. "If he was here; but if Fred knew he was going to die, and had to pick a man for Mia... he'd pick you, I'm sure." Charlie nodded, tears rolling down his tattered face.

That was all Mia needed to hear: "Charlie?" She whispered softly, crying herself at this point. She walked around the door and Molly smiled, as if she knew Mia had been standing there.

"Mia, I-" Charlie tried to explain. Mia felt as if walking in on this conversation was a sign from Fred. She knew it'd all be okay. She walked over to Charlie, who was still sitting at the table.

"I love you, too, Charlie." She cried, leaning down to kiss his lips softly. "I just felt like I was betraying Fred... I prayed for a sign, this is my sign. I think he's okay." Molly sniffled quietly, this time happy tears. She wanted Mia to be happy, she loved Mia.

"Really?" Charlie whispered, their foreheads touching.

"Yeah." She whispered back, kissing his lips one more time. Charlie smiled widely and embraced Mia in a huge hug, he'd also prayed for a sign.