living on • george weasley • part two

Layla was well up in her pregnancy but still insisted on helping at the shop. It helped her be close to Fred, doing what he loved. Ron also was helping, so Layla mainly ran the register. "Mum wants us to come over for dinner, tonight." George mentioned as he was stocking the shelves.

Layla's stomach growled thinking of Molly's food. "Lovely. This little guy or girl is hungry." She rubbed her huge belly and sat back on a stool. George chuckled and shook his head, trying to not stare too long. It had been 8 months since Fred died and he was slowly falling in love with Layla. A thought that disgusted him. He wasn't disgusted by the fact of Layla, but because she was his brother's girl - she always had been, ever since 4th year. The thought of any bit of attraction turned his stomach, thinking back of all the times he'd joked to Layla "she was dating the wrong twin" and Fred would get mad. Up until recently, George had strictly platonic feelings for Layla - but helping her through her pregnancy and coping with Fred's death, the feelings grew.

George was amazing. He held her hair back when she threw up, made sure the flat was always stocked with groceries so she could have her exact cravings. All the things she wished Fred could have done; but, considering the situation, she couldn't have asked for any better than George. If it had to be this way, she was happy to have George there to support her.

They arrived at The Burrow via the floo and Layla's mouth instantly began to water. "There's my grand baby!" Molly squealed, rubbing Layla's plump belly. "And my beautiful daughter in law!" She kissed Layla on the cheek and Layla smiled. Molly still called her her daughter in law, even thought her and Fred were never married. Layla considered herself blessed to have such a supportive family in the Weasley's.

Layla waddled over to the table, a protective eye on her from afar. She was wearing a white sundress and sandals. "Layla!" George called, noticing her ankles. They were twice the size of normal. "Sit down!" He demanded.

"George, I'm fine." Layla sighed, George ignored her and pulled out a chair, insisting she sit down and rest.

"I'll make you a plate." He scurried over to the kitchen and loaded a plate full of all of Molly's cooking. Molly smiled warmly at the man her son had become. Layla hadn't realized it, but helping Layla and the baby had helped George cope with Fred's death more than she knew. Molly noticed this. She noticed the pep in his step when he was doing something for Layla, the way he stared at her when she laughed, or when she walked, making sure nothing was in her path to make her fall. Molly knew all of her kids like the back of her hand and she knew George was in love.

George sat a huge helping of food down in front of Layla, then a plate for hisself. He dug in, as did Layla. "Oh, you need a drink!" He jumped up, still chewing his food and grabbed a glass of water.

"Thanks, Georgie." She smiled.

After dinner, Layla was yawning and stretching while the family was still conversing. "Molly? Do you mind if I lay on the couch? My back is killing me." George's head shot up and Layla shook her head.

"I'm fine, George. Molly?"

"Absolutely, Layla! Go make yourself comfortable." Molly nodded. Layla waddled over to the couch and immediately flopped down and dozed off.

George, while still catching up with his siblings, kept checking on Layla. He decided he'd stay until she had her nap. He was there long after his brothers and sister had left. "Well, I believe I'm going to hit the hay." Arthur yawned, kissing Molly's head. "Goodnight, George."

"Goodnight, dad." George nodded, sipping on a cup of a tea. This left him and his mother alone in the kitchen. As she picked up the dishes from dinner, George went to check on Layla again and noticed the chill bumps dotting her arms. He grabbed a blanket off the couch and tucked her in snuggly. When he turned around, his mother met his gaze. She gave him a knowing glare and he smiled nervously, "she was cold."

"Come talk to mum." Molly said seriously, taking George's arm. They walked out on the porch together and sat. "You love her." She said simply once they were settled on the porch.

"Of course I do! She's part of the fam-" George began to get flustered.

"No, George. I mean you really love her." Molly insisted, rocking back in forth in the old rocking chair. She remembered back to nights she held one twin in each arm and rocked in this very chair. George's eyes brimmed with tears and he shook his head.

"I do, mum. But, I can't. She's Fred's." He sniffled.

Molly, crying herself at this point, coughed and regained her composure. Losing her son was the hardest thing she'd ever went through, but seeing George struggle with losing his other half was just as hard. "Fred is dead, George. As much as I want to bring him back..." she let out a loud sniffle, "we can't. There is no doubt in my mind that he would not want Layla to do this alone. He would want her to be happy."

George nodded. He knew Fred would want him to take care of Layla and the baby. "She won't feel the same, mum. I mean, we're identical. She wouldn't feel right-"

"She is the only person that has ever been able to tell you two apart, even better than me." Molly insisted, "If Layla feels the same, she loves you, for you. Not because you look like Fred. Talk to her, George. You might be surprised."

"George... I'd like to go home, please." A broken voice whispered from the door. Molly and George both jumped at the sound of Layla's voice.

"How much did you hea-" George began.

"I want to go home." She cut him off. "Thanks for dinner, Molly."