living on • george weasley • part three

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Layla screamed as soon as they arrived back to flat, emotions and hormones flaring.

"Layla, please. Just forget everything you heard." George begged. Layla stomped through the flat, jerking off her shoes.

"I can't forget that, George. That's a huge thing to 'just forget'." She argued, her blue eyes filling with tears. She wouldn't admit it, but she had been feeling the same way. George treated her like a princess, but he was Fred's brother. His twin brother. She'd be betraying him.

"Please, let's just go back to how we were living. Like none of this ever happened." George knew now confessing his feelings to her would've been a mistake. Layla was now sobbing, her pregnancy hormones getting the best of her; all of this was too overwhelming.

"How can I, George? How can I forget about all this when I feel the same way? I love you too!" She screamed, stumbling slightly over her own shoes and catching herself on the counter. George reached out to grab her. "Don't touch me! This is wrong, all wrong." George watched as she sobbed, holding her head in her hands. "I'm in love with you, George. But, I feel like Fred is still here.. I still love Fred. I don't want to betray him." She sobbed hysterically.

George inched closer, taking her hands from her face and hugging her close. She tried to fight him, but he held her head close to his chest. "Shhh. Calm down, Lay."

"I can't, George. I've fallen head over heels in love with you." She sobbed.

"I love you, too, Layla. Mum made me realize that Fred would want me to take care of you, he'd want you to be happy." George's sniffled, still holding Layla close.  "I've battled with this for months. It's just too hard to fight it. Every time I try to suppress it, it comes right back. I can't deny my feelings for you, Layla. No matter what though, I will still be here for you and the ba-"

He was cut off by a passionate, wet kiss being planted on his lips. The kiss was hungry, full of all of the emotions that had led to this fight. Layla realized something, the stars had aligned just right for her and George to fall in love. It was as if Fred had orchestrated this from the grave. She realized that he trusted George more than he did anyone, and she knew if he wanted her to move on... then George was the one. George's hand moved from her back to her hip, kissing her back furiously. The kiss was interrupted by the sound of a "splat" of water smacking the floor.

Layla's water broke.

"Alright, it looks like you've been in labor for sometime now." The healer explained once they arrived at St. Mungos. "That explains the back pain you told me about." Layla gave a terrified to look to George. "We're going to get everything ready, then we'll come back and start pushing. How's that sound?" Layla gulped and nodded nervously.

The healer stepped out of the room. As soon as he was out of ear shot, Layla broke out into a sob. It was all becoming to real. "I can't do this, Georgie."

"Yes you can." George grabbed her hand and squeezed it. "You're the strongest person I know. You were made to be this baby's mum. You can do it."

"Don't leave me." She cried, "please stay with me, George. I don't want to do this alone."

The whole time George had taken care of Layla, they'd never discussed George being in the delivery room. George was taken back, but agreed. "I wouldn't leave you for the world, Lay."

As the waiting room at St. Mungos filled with Weasleys, Layla and George waited for the doctor to come back. When he did, Layla began pushing. Thirty short minutes later, a loud cry burst through the room. Layla flopped back onto the bed with a sigh of relief. "A boy! Dad, would you like to cut the umbilical cord?" The healer beamed.

"Dad? I'm not the-"

"Yes you are, George." Layla said breathlessly. "Maybe not biologically, but we're in this together." George took the scissors from the healers hand and cut the baby boy's umbilical cord. He couldn't take his eyes off of the baby. He was beautiful. It was love at first sight.

"Alright, then. The nurse is going to get little guy cleaned up while we get ready for round two." The healer settled hisself back at the foot of the bed.

"Round two?!" George and Layla exclaimed, in unison.

"Yes, did no one tell you it's twins?"

Half an hour later, another baby was born. A girl. George fell in love with her, just as he had the brother before her. For the first time, George felt peace. He felt as if Fred was there, telling him he was doing the right thing. The healer cleaned up Layla and let George and Layla have a few moments with the children before notifying the family.

Layla held the baby boy close to her chest and nursed him, as George held the baby girl and caressed her small face. They both had flaming red hair. "They're beautiful." George sniffled, reaching out to hold Layla's hand. "Are you sure, you want me to step in as their father?" He looked at Layla.

"I could think of no one better. It... it just all seems right." Layla smiled sleepily. She'd felt the same peace George felt. George leaned over, crying, and kissed Layla's sweaty forehead. "What're we naming them?"

"Fred." George said quickly. "Fred Weasley II."

Layla nodded, "I was thinking exactly the same thing."

"And this little gal?"

"Georgia." Layla smiled warmly. George's mouth fell open.

"Really?"

"Yes, really."

George planted a soft kiss on Layla's lips before switching out babies so she could feed Georgia. The family that had been born might not be traditional, but it was perfect nonetheless. Every person in that room was meant for each other, even if it started with tragedy.