Chapter Twenty Eight

INOLA NEVER RETURNED BACK TO THE HOSPITAL. Since then the trips had just consisted of Omari's parents and occasionally Enrique or Joshua. She wanted to leave so badly, but she knew she had to stay put. It was going to get even more crowded because Omari was finally coming home today. They hadn't talked since their argument last, so Inola was ready for the tension, tenfold.

It was even worse knowing his parents already wanted nothing to do with her, so it was like the whole house was against her. Inola was worried about sleeping arrangements but Collins had cleared out the basement downstairs for the two boys. The basement was really tiny but it was warm, cozy and big enough for the two.

Inola wasn't too sure about that, she felt like she should go in the basement instead. Especially with Joshua who was disabled. If something was happening to him at night she couldn't even see. She preferred to have him with her and let Omari go in the basement, but coming out of the hospital he also needed to be visible to people in case something went wrong with him.

Enrique begged his mom for him and Joshua to go in the basement. Inola was surprised thinking he wouldn't want too and it would be too creepy. Until she saw he was so hyper because they had another tv down there that had cable and wifi. So she made a mental note to pop up on him unexpectedly and put paternal blocks on certain things.

Mom, can I go help pick up Mari? Enrique signed.

No, baby. They're coming right back, just wait. Inola said. He honestly had no reason to be outside. If they were coming right back with him, he didn't need to put his life at risk. Come watch a movie with me and Joshy.

Enrique sighed but figured she was right. He told her he was going to do some popcorn while she picked a movie for them to watch. He was only ten and the most appropriate movies she could name off the top of her head for him were all PG-13. Still way too young for those as well; but Inola picked one that had the rating for cursing and not sexual content. She wasn't ready for that talk with him at ten and that would be weird to watch movies with sexual scenes with her son.

The three laid in the bed, watching Spy Kids and eating butter popcorn. The vibe was peaceful and nice, Inola had to watch with subtitles. She's seen the movie before but she didn't remember what was being said. Halfway through the movie, Inola heard the front door slam from downstairs which made her jump. Collins and his damn heavy hand again.

Her heart started racing because she knew they were back with Omari. Her palms became sweaty and she felt weird.

Enrique looked at her wide eyed. Mari's back, I can hear him talking downstairs. I'm going, you coming? He tried to jump off the bed but Inola caught his wrist.

Aren't you watching the movie with me?

Enrique furrowed his eyebrows. Ma, Mari's here. Why are you worried about a movie? Let's go check on Mari.

Inola gave him a tight lipped smile and let go of his arm. She told him she was coming down just now and watch him run out. He left the door wide open so she got up and closed it shut behind him. She went back to the bed and sank under the covers, grabbing Joshua tight.

Craving some ice cream she wondered if she should go outside on the street and get some. She hasn't been out the house in three weeks, but risking everything for a hot fudge brownie Sundae from Baskin Robins probably wasn't worth it. So she laid there, lazily staring at the screen until she fell asleep.

*******

Downstairs, Enrique was smiling from ear to ear. His silver braces shining from the reflection of the light, making Omari remember to say something nice.