Chapter Thirty Nine

Four Months Later...

Inola smiled looking down from the 5th floor window. She watched Omari and Enrique racing outside on the sidewalk below. They lived in an apartment building that was twenty minutes away from where they use to live. The original plan was to save up and get a house, but Inola and Omari really wanted their own space, so they got an apartment instead.

Both were working so they would be able to save up and eventually get a house. The plan was to continue saving so they could move from an apartment, into a house. The place wasn't extraordinary, but it was cozy. It was two bedrooms and one bathroom. The boys shared a room and slept on a queen sized bed together and they had the other room.

It wasn't a super tiny space, but it wasn't the biggest either. It was spacious enough for all four of them. Inola shook her head from side to side and walked away, going to check on the pork chops she was frying. She had work tomorrow and wanted to do the morning shift because on Tuesday mornings, it was always empty.

Enrique had returned to school but had to repeat the grade he was in due to a large number of absences. When the two were at work, Enrique was at school and Joshua stayed with Omari's parents or with Inola's mother. Her mother was old but because Joshua couldn't move there wasn't anything she did for him really except hook up his feeding tube. It would be Enrique she would have to keep up with.

Inola checked on Joshua quickly and saw he was sleeping in the couch. He was starting to grow and get big, he had just turned seven as well. She bent down and kissed him, wiping his mouth free of drool. Then she proceeded to the kitchen and flipped over the pork chops, so they could brown on the other side. She had mash potatoes going in another pot and steamed vegetables in another.

Inola felt really happy, her life was back on track and she was among family, friends and just normal everyday people. She finally felt safe being out in public again. The day French killed those two men, he had fled and shortly after the cops showed up.

Both Inola and Omari lied and said they didn't know who he was. Witnesses said they saw Inola and Omari talking to him. But the couple made up a story of French and the Italians being strangers that knocked on their door. There was no evidence suggesting Inola or Omari was connected to the dead Italian men or the murderer, so soon it was thrown out as a cold case. Inola and Omari had never seen or heard from French again.

Inola still thought about him periodically, but she was happy and this is where she wanted to be. She was finally set to marry Omari in two months. He wanted to do it in June, when it was Summer. He preferred the wedding to be an outside event. Everything was perfect between he and Inola. They hadn't had one fight or argument since they got their lives back.

The front door burst open and the two boys walked in. Omari shut the door with his foot and Inola glanced over at them, but refocused on the pork chops. She turned the fire down when the oil started to splash. Enrique went straight to the back to go take a quick shower. He was sweaty and didn't want to just put on a new shirt.

Omari waited until he heard Enrique's bedroom door close and then approached Inola. He pressed himself into her and wrapped his arms around her from behind. She smiled, enjoying the feeling of his lips tugging on her earlobe. She closed her eyes for a split second and moaned softly, starting to back her ass up into him.

He playfully swatted her ass and pulled his head away from her, resting his chin on her shoulder. She smelled so good, like melons. He started to sign to her. "Let me finish up here, baby. Go put your feet up, relax."

It's okay, you go put your feet up and relax. I have it. She smiled. He had just come from work an hour ago, immediately started playing with Enrique and still wanted to come home and do lunch. He did so much for them. She was the one who was home today, so she cleaned, did laundry and cooked.