Chapter Forty Four

FRENCH SMILED, COOING TO HIS DAUGHTER

FRENCH SMILED, COOING TO HIS DAUGHTER. Jade was in her bouncy chair, just staring at him. He was making peculiar sounds and she didn't know how to feel about them so she just watched him.

French laughed, she was so serious. In the midst of all the things happening with the ongoing police investigation for the Compton shooting; his daughter is what was keeping his hope alive. She brought that light back into his life. He shook the rattle in his hand but Jade was not amused.

"Dang, you not trying to play with me baby girl?" He said. "Aight then, you no fun."

He leaned in and kissed her on the forehead, resting the rattle in her lap. She stared at it, but didn't touch it. He stood to his full height and walked over to where Inola was, looking out the window. He knew she could feel his presence, because she smiled.

Enrique was at school and had football practice today so he'd be coming in a little later than usual. Enrique didn't really seem to like being around the baby much. French was sure it was jealousy. It didn't offend him though, he didn't want negative energy around his child anyway.

Joshua was on his feeding tube in the recliner. Only a few feet away from the baby. Jade was always staring at Joshua as well. She might've realized he was different already but just didn't know how in her little mind.

French turned her around. You neighborhood watch?

No, Inola said biting her bottom lip. She slid her hand over the front of his jeans. I can watch over this, though.

Yeah you definitely can. He flirted back. 

Inola signed. Let me ask you a question. Do you think Omari was serious about what he said in the parking lot a couple weeks ago? About killing me? Should I get an order of protection?

French waved her off, He not gonna do shit. He ain't about that life. Just a hurt nigga talking off emotion and what he wish he could do. He scared you with that, forreal?

Inola shrugged, she wasn't gonna front. I mean, yeah. A little.

Then start learning how to shoot. I can teach you or we can go to the gun range. French told her. He was at a fluent level in sign language now. He studied really hard and could carry a conversation well.

Inola looked at him and could see he was dead serious. As horrible as her and Omari's relationship had been, she didn't know if she had the heart to shoot him. He use to be her fiancé at one point in time.

I don't know French.

About what? He said leaning against the window frame and staring at her. About learning how to shoot? I mean I know guns aren't a toy. But women kill me with that 'my life is in danger shit, but I hate guns.' Then when something happens you're crying, wishing you would've learned how to shoot.