Chapter Twenty Four

FRENCH GRUNTED LIFTING THE 260LB WEIGHT

FRENCH GRUNTED LIFTING THE 260LB WEIGHT. He brought it down to his chest and would take a second long pause before the muscles in his arms flexed as he pushed it straight up until his arms were parallel to each other. He was in his gym in the basement, working out.

His wireless earphones were on and he was shirtless, wearing red basketball shorts. His entire body was covered in sweat as he focused on lifting. He couldn't go a week without exercising. He was no gym freak but he had to stay in shape for what he did. He got off the treadmill twenty minutes ago and had been lifting for ten minutes now.

Inola walked down the stairs, rubbing her eyes. She had woken up a long time ago. In fact she was in the living room watching tv; but she had made breakfast over an hour ago and he still hadn't come up to eat even though she called him twice already. She had on a pajama set, a long sleeve one that was thin. It wasn't necessarily winter as of yet, but not that hot either so the material was fine.

The gym was huge so she walked around looking for him. She couldn't hear anything so she had to look around. He didn't have a lot of mirrors but he did have walls everywhere. It was like a mini maze. She hadn't really come down here much ever so she didn't remember the layout. She bent a corner and saw him laid out on his weight bench, lifting a weight that looked extremely heavy.

She walked up until she was standing over him, making him look at her. French put the weight bar into place in the holding dock and sat up, pulling one earphone out his ear. He forgot she didn't talk anyway, but it was second nature to expect to hear a voice.

You've been down here forever, are you okay? She signed.

French nodded his head, he just had a lot on his mind. It's at least been going on two months since she's been here. He didn't crave her being here, but honestly it didn't bother him like it first did. That didn't mean she could fill in Uki's role, because no one ever could. It just meant... French didn't know what it meant. He was thinking of stupid things, lately.

They're chocolate chip pancakes. I followed this tutorial on YouTube, it's kind of easy. Inola signed.

French had gotten better at signing as well, but was still no expert. Sounds good.

Are you really going to come up to eat now like you keep saying or are you going to eat later?

Give me ten minutes, I have to go upstairs and shower. He signed back.

Inola looked at him, watching the beads of sweat trickle down his rock hard abdomen. He really had a nice body, one that wasn't too much bulk to where it was unattractive. She found her eyes roaming to see if she saw a print through his basketball shorts but quickly caught herself and looked away.

She'd been in this house with this man for weeks and weeks and never once thought of him in a sexual way. The fact that she was doing it now meant she was starting to spend too much time here. This whole thing with the mob being after them needed to end soon. She needed to get back to her normal life.