Chapter 18 ░ The Briefest Moment

"That was amazing, guys!" Marina raised her arms and applauded, her face beaming at Ander, Guzmán and Polo as the booming music from the club's dance studio speakers came to an end

"The cheer routine looked great. You guys were on fire," Carla agreed.

"Yeah, it was actually not half bad," Lu allowed with a sniff.

Polo wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand. "I have a good feeling about this, which is something I never thought I'd be saying about this stupid punishment," he pronounced, laughing.

Ander grinned and slung his arm around Reina's shoulder. "Thanks to our awesome cheer coach."

Guzmán and Polo smiled at Reina while Reina complained, "Ander! You're all sweaty." However, she didn't make a move to step away.

"Let's call it a day and head to the terrace bar? I'm dying from thirst," Guzmán stated.

Polo nodded. "I want to drown in a pool of S. Pellegrino sparkling water. Right now."

"It's 5pm, which means it's wine o' clock," Carla announced. "Let's go."

She linked arms with Lu and the two girls exited the dance studio with the rest of the group in tow.

"You've been a huge help, Reina," Ander uttered, his arm still resting lightly on Reina's shoulder as they walked to the terrace bar.

"You're welcome." Reina glanced up at Ander and smirked. "I just couldn't leave you to suffer from total embarrassment in front of the entire San Patricio crowd – and not to mention El Pilar's crowd too."

Ander grimaced at the thought of making a fool of himself in public. "I owe you one, that's for sure."

"You might just regret saying that," Reina teased, her dark eyes dancing with mischief.

"Reina..." Ander groaned. "No more concocting brilliant ideas for now, okay? You're too good at it."

"And you're no fun." Reina laughed.

The sky above flashed with lightning at that moment.

"Damn, it looks like rain soon," Guzmán said, looking upward.

"Come on, let's hurry." Ander's hand dropped to the small of Reina's back, guiding her to move faster.

"I kinda like being in the rain," Reina admitted, even though she kept up with the rest who were quickening their steps.

"You like the notion of being wet and cold, with a risk of falling sick?" Ander chuckled.

"Now you've just ruined the mood."

Ander chuckled again. "My bad... But since you like the rain, I'm going to start calling you Rein. It's a cute nickname, don't you think?"

Reina actually stopped in her tracks. "No. No nicknames. I hate them."