Chapter 16 ░ Relent

"Ander, your friend is here to see you!"

At the sound of his mother's voice and the soft knocks on his bedroom door, Ander paused his Instagram browsing and rolled off from his bed.

When he flung open the door, he saw his mother's grinning face and he grew curious. "Friend? Who?"

"Come on down and find out yourself," she replied cheerfully.

Ander followed her down the stairs and they parted ways at the bottom, where his mother strode into the kitchen and he made his way to the front door.

He didn't know what he was expecting to see at the doorway, but it was certainly not someone with that familiar pair of large, expressive eyes.

"Reina?" he muttered with a frown. "Why are you here?"

Those dark eyes were two calm pools today, and when Reina spoke, her voice was uncharacteristically timid. "Hi, Ander."

Ander leaned against the doorway, waiting for her to continue.

"Umm, this is for you. And your family," Reina said as she lifted her hands to show the large white pastry box she was holding. "Cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery."

Ander eyed the pastry box suspiciously. "This is kind of random..."

Reina nodded earnestly. "I know. I just – I wanted to apologize. And this is my peace offering."

"Cupcakes are your peace offering," Ander stated, still dubious.

Reina bit her lower lip. "Are cupcakes not good enough? I'm not.. I'm not very good at this apologizing thing. All I know is that an apology usually comes with a gift of some sort, right?"

Ander couldn't help chuckling. "Guess that's how the rich and elite people do it," he remarked dryly.

Reina exhaled loudly. "Ander, please. Just accept the cupcakes. Please?" she softened her tone at the end, probably because she remembered that she was the guilty party here.

"I don't know. I'm kind of on a diet," Ander teased.

"Ander, aren't you going to invite Reina in already?" His mother appeared next to him. "I'm sorry, Reina. My son is usually not this rude to guests."

Reina smiled awkwardly, still clutching at the box of cupcakes.

"Here, I'll take the cupcakes. Come on in," Ander said as he seized the box and stepped aside for Reina to walk in.

"Thanks," Reina responded with unmistakable relief.

"Can I get you something to drink, Reina?" His mother offered.

"Water is great. Thank you," Reina answered as she daintily sat down on the three-seater sofa in the living room.

Ander claimed the single armchair adjacent to the sofa. "You don't have to stay, you know," he told Reina. "My mom is just an over-enthusiastic host."