Chapter 29 ░ The Lucky One

Upon arriving at the lake house, Reina suddenly began to feel foolish

Upon arriving at the lake house, Reina suddenly began to feel foolish. "I don't know if I'm up for this..." she spoke, glancing at Ander with uncertainty as they stood inside at the foyer.

"Why not?" he asked.

"I mean, how many people did you manage to invite anyway? I assume they're all Las Encinas students and, well, I'm not exactly Miss Popularity at school. Even your friends dislike me –"

"Hey party people!" Marina's chirpy voice rang from behind them.

Reina maneuvered with her crutches, slowly spinning around to face Marina. She was shocked to see the person standing next to her.

"Guzmán?" Reina couldn't help but raise an eyebrow.

With a friendly smirk on his freckled face, Guzmán replied, "Is that how you greet your guests, Reina? So much warmth."

Marina rolled her eyes and playfully whacked her brother on the chest. "Come on, Guzmán. Help me bring the ice box out. And the food."

"I'll help too," Ander volunteered.

Marina and Guzmán nodded and began retracing their steps to the front door.

Turning to Reina, Ander said, "You just find a comfortable chair to sit in, okay princess?"

"Okay. But you have got to stop calling me that."

"What? Princess? Well, right now you really do look like one," Ander pointed out with a teasing smile.

Reina glanced down self-consciously at her white sparkly cropped halter top and the long pale pink tulle skirt that grazed her ankles.

Did Ander like her outfit? Or thought it was hideous? She couldn't tell.

"You look beautiful," Ander added with a quick smile, as if reading her mind. "All that's missing now is a tiara."

"Oh please. That would be too dramatic, even for me."

Ander chuckled before walking away.

Within an hour, the lake house had transformed into a vibrant yet cozy party space. String lights adorned the walls, ceiling and even around the pool deck outside. Meanwhile, colorful bottles of liquor stood on the bar counter alongside a row of golden goblets as party cups, promising a night of intoxicating drinks.

Polo, Lu and Carla appeared through the door just as Marina was done setting up the array of delicate finger food set up on the dining table.

"Hey guys. Nice tiara, Lu," Ander remarked as he eyed the glimmering, elaborate jewelry piece perched on top of Lu's head.

"Thank you, Ander." Lu beamed. "I just pulled it out from the closet. God knows how long it's been in there. I don't even remember. But yes, isn't it fabulous?"

"You have a tiara in your closet?" Marina asked, laughing.

"Of course," Lu replied haughtily, flipping her long dark hair. "And you don't?" she asked.