Chapter 10 ░ The Other Side

"Ander, you are not going to believe this," Christian said in a hushed voice on Tuesday afternoon

Ander looked up from the chemistry class notes he was studying on his Surface Book. "What is it?"

Christian rubbed the back of his neck as he read the text he had just received on his phone. "Next challenge: Meet at Vicalvaro Lake this Saturday at 2pm. Sprint, cliff jump and swim. First one to reach the lakeshore wins. Challenge is only between Matteo and Ander."

Since they were at the school library, Ander resorted to cursing under his breath. "Are you serious? They still want to continue with this stupid game?"

"Looks like it, my friend."

"Who sent you the text anyway?"

"Kate."

Ander couldn't help raising an eyebrow. "She has your number?"

Christian smiled smugly. "She couldn't resist the old Christian charm. We exchanged numbers at Club54 after the drinking challenge was over and all of you were out cold."

"And I thought you were loyal to Carla," Ander remarked with a slight smile.

"There's plenty of me to go around, bro," Christian replied without missing a beat.

"Yeah, well, just be careful with these San Patricio people. You never know what their agenda is. They could just be using you," Ander warned, as thoughts of Reina suddenly emerged.

Was he being used by Reina? Was that what last Sunday was about? Did she go home with him just to carry out some elaborate plan that was part of the challenge this coming Saturday?

Ander couldn't figure it out. Couldn't figure her out. And he couldn't figure out why he would even want to...

"What's the whole rivalry thing with San Patricio about anyway?" Christian asked, bringing Ander's focus back to their conversation. "How did it start?"

Ander shrugged. "It was just a dumb football match that took place two years ago. I wasn't there but I heard that it was the finals and San Patricio was leading by one goal, until one of their players received a red card. San Patricio argued and fought hard against the referee's decision, which only led to another San Patricio player being red-carded. There was a penalty kick for Las Encinas and we scored on that penalty kick.

"Then with San Patricio down by two players, we managed to net one more goal later and that won us the game."

"Damn!" Christian proclaimed, forgetting to keep his voice low.

"SHH." A female classmate who was sitting nearby shot Christian an annoyed look.

"Sorry," Christian whispered to her before turning back to Ander. "No wonder San Patricio is still mad after all these years. They must've thought that victory was in their hands, before the whole double red card thing happened."