Chapter 20 ░ Aftershock

Ander could taste blood in his mouth

The unpleasant metallic flavor was all he could detect right now. The rest of his body had become numb.

Even as he pulled back his fist and threw yet another punch at the random San Patricio boy in front of him, he barely registered the impact.

It was as if most of his senses were in suspension...

Which would explain how startled he was when he heard the loud wail of approaching police sirens.

"Ander! Let's go," Guzmán urged, shaking his shoulder.

"Run!" Polo chimed in, his sneakers slapping the floor hard as he took off.

Ander's eyes wandered, flitting from one face to another. Finally they landed on Reina, who was alerting the San Patricio students about the sirens too.

"Just go," Ander heard Reina instructing Matteo and Noel urgently. "I'll take care of this."

For a second, Ander and Reina locked gazes. He saw her hair, messy and coming loose from a ponytail. Then the wild look in her eyes.

She's scared.

He'd never seen this side of Reina. Should he stay and help her...? But what could he do anyway?

"Ander, move. NOW!" Guzmán yelled.

Two adults were walking briskly in the direction of the lingering students – a middle-aged man and a woman in her forties, both looking very severe and furious. Probably teachers.

Ander had no choice. He ran.

Under the inky night sky, his feet moved quickly to tail Guzmán and Polo ahead. The three of them didn't stop until they reached a dimly lit bus stop ten minutes later.

Guzmán spat out some blood onto the asphalt before planting himself onto the bus stop's metal seating. "I'm going to kill those San Patricio jerks the next time I see them."

Leaning against one side of the transparent walls and catching his breath, Polo uttered, "That's for sure."

"Just get rid of Matteo and leave the rest, man. Matteo's the biggest shithead," Ander said hoarsely, collapsing next to Guzmán.

"How did the fight start anyway?" Guzmán asked with a frown. "Don't tell me it has something to do with Reina."

"It was just something stupid," Ander responded.

"Something stupid related to Reina?" Guzmán persisted.

Ander was quiet, and Guzmán swore under his breath.

"She's nothing but trouble. As is anyone from San Patricio. Why do you keep hanging out with her?" Polo wanted to know.

"I won't anymore," Ander muttered. And he decided that he meant it. He was done with Reina and the whole of San Patricio – his life was better off without all the drama.