Chapter 17 ░ Unfamiliar Territory

"This is unbelievable," Noel exclaimed

"It definitely sucks," Kate agreed with a scowl.

"How can we lose our school principal and get a replacement, all in one weekend?" Matteo shook his head.

Emilia looked around them as students filed out of San Patricio's indoor basketball court after an emergency assembly session right before lunch.

She told the gang, "I heard Pedro Aldana got sacked – I mean, asked to leave – on Friday night and they flew in the new principal from Barcelona on Sunday."

"Sascha Pastor. That's the name of the new principal, right? I don't like the looks of her," Matteo grumbled.

"And her speech about how she will reshape the school for better discipline and performance? We don't need more discipline." Noel's face grew dark.

By the time the gang had settled into their usual lunch table, the complaints had only intensified.

"Pedro was good. Why would they get rid of a perfectly good principal?" Matteo frowned.

Emilia nodded. "He trusted us and gave us freedom."

"A little too much freedom," Kate pointed out with a smirk. "But who's complaining, right?"

"Not me." Noel grinned. "All those times I was allowed to miss my classes to practice running on the track. That was great."

Kate leaned forward. "Reina?" she called from across the table. "You've been oddly quiet. What's up?"

Reina put down the fork that she was using to stab at her bowl of salad. "I guess I just don't see what the big deal is."

She shrugged her slender shoulders and continued, "We rule this school. And don't forget that our parents pay for everything, including the principal's salary. There's nothing to be worried about."

"I suppose that's true..." Emilia said thoughtfully.

"Of course it is," Reina replied haughtily. "If Sascha Pastor even dares to try to change a single thing at San Patricio... We'll just need to tell our parents and she'll be fired in no time."

"Reina is always our voice of reason," Matteo mused, throwing her an affectionate smile.

"You're welcome." Reina took one more mouthful of her salad before pushing the entire bowl away. "So let's move on to another topic now. Something more exciting, please."

"Umm, this isn't exciting but I'm this close to failing my English literature class." Emilia sighed. "Does anyone want to study together for the test this Friday?"

Normally, Reina would've rolled her eyes, told Emilia that the class was a total breeze, and wondered aloud why anyone could be flunking the subject.

And Reina was about to do so at this very instance... Until she caught Kate's eye. And remembered how she was supposed to try being a decent human being.