Chapter 6 ░ Collide

It was shaping up to be a boring Sunday for Reina

She lazed on a deck chair and stared out moodily into the blue depths of her home swimming pool, the water glinting in the afternoon sun.

The entire house was deathly silent. The maids had gone out for grocery shopping and other errands. Her father was away on another one of his business trips, while her mother had locked herself in the master bedroom for several hours now.

Reina knew better than to check in on her mother. After all these years, she knew what she would find if she were to knock on the door and peek into the master bedroom. She knew what her mother would say, and she knew what she would be expected to reply. But no, Reina refused to lie, even if it was in the name of comforting her mother.

Family affairs were tricky. Too much of a hassle. Reina preferred to keep her distance, as cruel as it sounded.

Reina was jolted from her thoughts by the ringing of her phone.

She saw that the call was from Matteo and picked up. "Hey, babe. How are you feeling?"

"Bad," Matteo said with a groan. "I don't even remember how I got home."

"Javier and Cruz came over to Club54 and drove us all back. We made sure you, Noel and Eric were safely in your rooms before we left. Let me tell you, it was not easy getting you into bed, babe."

"You usually don't have trouble getting me into bed," Matteo told her huskily. She could hear the smile in his voice.

"Well, you usually aren't throwing up and thrashing your arms around," Reina teased, rolling her eyes.

"Sorry."

"Tell that to Cruz. I think you smacked his head a couple of times while he was carrying you into your house," Reina chuckled.

"Ughhh. I'll have to thank him when I see him in school," Matteo said. "And you too, Reina. Thanks for taking care of us."

"Of course. It's just too bad the drinking competition ended up in a draw."

"Yeah. I hate myself for it. I was this close to winning."

"So what's going to happen now?"

"I don't know. All I know is we're not letting those Las Encinas fools off that easily."

"Give them a new challenge then?"

"What should the challenge be though? Any ideas?"

"Hmm. Definitely something that plays to your strengths..."

Matteo laughed. "I have too many strengths, it's hard to choose."

"Modesty is not one of them, for sure," Reina observed dryly.

Another laugh. "Well, we can discuss in school tomorrow with the rest of the gang. Right now my body feels like it was run over by a truck."

"Poor baby," Reina cooed. "Go and get more rest then."