Chapter 31 ░ Protective

Reina was unusually punctual to Lu's party

As she stepped through the grand doorway at 8pm, she smiled to herself, knowing that Kate and Emilia- or any of her old friends from San Patricio, honestly - would die from shock if they heard that she, Reina Velásquez, had not shown up two hours late for something.

But it was just for tonight. For Ander's sake - who wanted to plan out the strategy for his dare with Matteo during the school year end party.

Because he's my good friend. And we can't afford to mess this up. The stakes are too high.

Reina's eyes roamed, attempting to find familiar faces.

Anyone would do. She wasn't choosy.

If it wasn't Ander, it could be Marina.

Or Christian.

Heck, even Guzmán or Carla would have been fine.

"Well well, you're here."

That was not the voice she was expecting to hear.

Reina turned around slowly and mustered a smile at the host of the party. "Hi Lu. Nice house."

Lu shrugged and replied frostily, "It's not my house. But I'll be sure to tell my father that you approve of his place."

"Great. Tell him that he raised a really warm and friendly daughter too," Reina quipped.

Lu actually laughed. "I am warm and friendly. To my friends."

"Good to know."

"I am also protective of my friends. If anyone has the potential to hurt them in any way, I can't tolerate it. So please don't take it personally that I don't like you, okay?" Lu flashed a wide fake smile and batted her eyelashes.

"I'm heartbroken, but I'll try to get over it." Reina tilted her head. "Hey I'm thirsty. Do you want to tell me where the drinks are, or do I need to find my own way?"

Lu tossed her hair. "Follow me. I still know how to be a gracious host."

Reina was led through the living room where a throng of Las Encinas students were moving to the irresistible beats spun by a DJ at the corner.

The two girls walked on toward the staircase and stopped at the table next to it that held countless bottles of alcohol.

"I'll make you my famous Vieux Carré cocktail," Lu decided as she reached for a vintage scotch glass. In two minutes, she had deftly mixed a cocktail swimming in dark amber hues.

Reina took the glass from Lu and sipped once. Then twice.

"What do you think?" Lu prompted.

"I really like it," Reina replied.

Lu bestowed her with a genuine half smile. "Good. Welcome to the Montesinos House."

---&---