Chapter 7 ░ Conceal

Ander observed the scene before him

Reina stood a few feet away. She had the stormiest look on her face, her lips set in a tight line. Yet there was something else – what was it? She looked like a kid who had just gotten caught wearing her mother's expensive makeup.

And then Omar. That was the name that Christian gave him anyway. "Look for the dude with thick eyebrows and an earnest face," Christian had said to him over the phone.

Omar did not look earnest at all at this moment. His eyes darted from Ander to Reina, his expression a mixture of curiosity and awkwardness.

Ander coughed once. "Reina and I don't really know each other. We just happen to bump into each other at the clubs from time to time," he told Omar vaguely.

"Right." Omar didn't look entirely convinced, but he didn't push the subject. "Listen, I sorta messed up with the timings. I was supposed to meet Reina first at this same spot, but I didn't count on you showing up early..."

Ander nodded. Omar did say 5.30pm, but he had gotten restless and decided to leave the house way before it was time.

"Yeah, it was my bad," Ander said. "Anyway.. You're Omar, right? Nice to meet you. I'll let you, uhh, tend to Reina first. I can always take a walk and come back later."

As soon as Ander spoke those words, he could see Reina visibly relax slightly.

"Well..." Omar glanced at Reina. "If both of you don't mind, we can just get this done at the same time. Together."

Reina raised an eyebrow and looked like she was going to protest. But she paused to reconsider then said, "Fine. Whatever. Let's just get this over with."

Ander nodded in agreement.

"All right." Omar reached for his backpack and produced two small packs. He handed one to Reina and the other to Ander.

Reina took a quick look around to make sure nobody was around before she brought her pack close to her nose and breathed in. "Fresh," she approved.

Ander was no expert on marijuana freshness, so he would just take Reina's word for it.

He took out the money from his pocket and passed it to Omar. Reina unzipped her dainty beige Saint Laurent crossbody bag and paid Omar too.

"Thanks. Enjoy your goods," Omar said with a wry smile.

"It's so weird how you're a drug dealer but you don't actually use any drugs yourself, Omar," Reina commented, smirking.

"Really?" Ander was amazed.

Omar shrugged. "Yeah, I'm only doing it for the money." His eyes fixed onto Ander's face for a moment. "You look exactly like how Christian described."

"Yeah?"

"Curls. And a perpetual expression like you'd just inhaled something really bad."

Reina let out an amused laugh.