Chapter 33 ░ Breaking Point

The school year end party was in full swing, but Reina could barely focus

Her dark eyes darted over to Guzmán, who was looking deep in thought at one corner.

She also saw Lu standing by the punch bowl, downing a glass moodily while throwing furtive glances at Guzmán every so often.

Trouble in paradise for those two, I guess.

Reina licked her lips nervously, wishing that Ander was around to calm her nerves. He would probably crack a lame joke, and she would probably roll her eyes and laugh anyway.

Her thoughts drifted to this morning. How she woke up to find her face smooshed against Ander's shoulder. Tucked into the safest place in the world. She didn't want it to end.

And so she had gently closed her eyes again...

"Reina! How's it going?" Christian's voice boomed right next to her ear, giving her a startle.

"A less loud greeting wouldn't have hurt, you know," she retorted as she pointed at her assaulted ear and took half a step away from Christian.

Christian shrugged. "It's a party, Reina. Not a funeral."

"It feels like a mix of both, honestly," Reina muttered.

"Worried about tonight?" Christian asked, his jovial smile toned down for a second.

"You're not?"

"Well, we have a plan in place. So all we can do is to execute it and hope for the best. No point overthinking it."

"You're not wrong, I guess."

Christian patted Reina on the arm. "Hey, if Ander needs me, tell him to call me, okay?"

"Where are you going?"

"I need to go grab something from the lockers."

Reina raised an eyebrow quizzically.

"It's just something that Carla was asking for."

Reina chortled. "Can't she go get it herself?"

"I'm sure I will be appropriately rewarded for helping her out." Christian winked. "Anyway, after I've settled things with Carla, and you guys have settled the shit with Matteo, we'll celebrate. Go fucking crazy and end the night on a high. Deal?"

"I can always count on you for staying optimistic, Christian."

"That's what friends do, right? We don't allow anyone to feel too down."

Reina's heart softened.

Friends. I have friends at Las Encinas. Who would've guessed I would end up being not 100% miserable here.

"Right," she told Christian before he pivoted and made his exit.

Just two seconds later, she felt the buzz of her phone. There were messages in the group chat that Ander had created.