Chapter 3 ░ Game On

Somehow the prospect of going to school on Monday felt even more horrible than the moment Ander got kicked out of Maison last Saturday night

After snoozing his alarm eight times or so that morning, Ander dragged himself out of bed at last.

Well, at least his eyes were no longer bloodshot and his head didn't throb anymore. He had spent the entire Sunday lazing on the sofa, too hungover to actually do anything. It was a good thing his parents were out the entire day on a trip to a nearby town to visit some friends.

As he got ready in the bathroom, Ander stared at his reflection in the mirror and wondered at which point he'd started becoming such a lost mess.

Was it when he realized that he didn't have to – or want to – devote his entire life to tennis?

Or when he had his first taste of cocaine at a party he attended with Guzmán and Polo a few months back, and got hooked?

Or when he decided to step into Maison and get tangled up with people from San Patricio?

The answer: All of the above, probably.

Out of nowhere, an image of Reina appeared in his head. Her expressive yet unreadable dark eyes. The way she pursed her beautiful lips with skepticism at everything he said, but it was almost always followed by a throaty laugh. She was hot, she was icy, she was unstoppable.

And then the look of cold disdain when she found out he went to school at Las Encinas.

That would be his last memory of Reina. A raven-haired mystery that he would never unravel.

But it was all right. Life went on. And sure, his life was a depressing one, but what other choice did he have?

---&---

"Ander, Polo is going to hang out at my house. Coming?" Guzmán asked as he and Ander exited the classroom.

School was over for the day – Ander couldn't remember half of what the teachers had said, but who cares, right? He would just ask Guzmán for help with his homework later.

"I don't know. I'm feeling kinda tired," Ander replied with a shrug.

"Did I hear it right? You're too tired to hang out with your bros?" Polo had caught up with him and Guzmán, and the three of them strolled out of the school building together.

"What's wrong with you, Ander?" Guzmán looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "You didn't answer any of our texts over the weekend, either. Did something happen?"

Ander quickly shook his head. "I guess I'm just not feeling well. Maybe it's the flu or something."

"My friend, you know the best cure for that is a couple of beers," Polo proclaimed with a chuckle.

"Of which my house happens to have plenty of stock," Guzmán affirmed, a mischievous smile spreading over his freckled face.

It looked like Ander wouldn't be able to escape. "All right, I'm in."