Chapter 23 ░ No Promises

"Don't worry, he'll come around

"Don't worry, he'll come around."

Reina tore her eyes away from Ander's and Omar's disappearing figures and focused on Marina. "What?"

"Ander. He can't stay mad at anyone for long," Marina said.

"Well, I may just be the exception. And I can't even blame him," Reina muttered as she threw her gaze upwards.

The night clouds moved to reveal a perfect crescent moon, which reminded her of Ander's tattoo right below his collarbone. The one she'd nibbled the night she was in his room, in an intertwined mess of limbs and sheets.

All of a sudden, she missed Ander terribly. That feeling of reckless abandon. His smiling lips as they kissed, again and again.

But after all that's happened – all that she'd done – what could she do now?

"I've hurt him too many times," Reina admitted to Marina – and to herself.

"You both need a cooling-off period. Give it some time," Marina assured her.

The question is, do I have time?

Reina looked down at the phone in her hand. Matteo had texted just five minutes ago, asking her to meet up.

No doubt that Matteo wanted to know her progress with Ander – but there was nothing to report apart from getting the cold shoulder treatment from him.

Reina didn't know what to reply. Putting away her phone, she said, "Thanks Marina. You've been so nice to me despite – despite everything. I thought you'd hate me for getting your brother involved in the fight too."

Marina snorted. "Guzmán is more than capable of taking care of himself. It was his own decision to join Ander and Polo in fighting the San Patricio students. Now he has a black eye and must live with it."

"So much sisterly love right there," Reina teased.

"He knows I love him. He was the one who believed in me even in my shittiest moments. He convinced our mom and dad to give me a second chance. After I got HIV."

"That's really something. I'm glad Guzmán was so supportive of you. And you know what? I think you're so brave and amazing. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise."

Marina laughed. "Thanks. The point is – a lot of people deserve a second chance. That includes you, Reina."

Reina shrugged then changed the subject. "Where are you going after this? I think I'm just gonna head home."

"I think I'll go back up to the party," Marina declared. "See if it's any better now that everyone has drank more at this point."

"Okay. Have fun." Reina pushed herself up from the ground and Marina followed suit.

"If I see Bianca again, I'll send her your love," Marina promised with a wide grin.

Reina rolled her eyes. "If by that, you mean a huge punch to her smug face... Then please do."