Chapter 27 ░ Something Real

Ander's light brown eyes glimmered with a hint of mischief, and for a moment, Reina couldn't focus on anything else

She was so fully mesmerized that she even forgot about her stiff and itching leg in that stupid cast.

There seemed to be a pause from Ander too as he gazed at Reina.

Ander Muñoz. How did I get so lucky, having you in my life?

The thought sprung to Reina's mind without warning, taking her by surprise.

She was not used to being this thankful for anyone, really.

Guess she must've been feeling something real for Ander. The question was, what?

"Umm well," Ander eventually spoke, breaking the silence – and the spell.

Reina blinked, but didn't miss a beat in responding, "Yes. So what deliciously wicked plan were you thinking for Matteo?"

A crooked grin from Ander. "Okay, it's all still pretty rough, but –"

His words were interrupted by a knock on the door.

The next instance, the door swung open to reveal Reina's mom.

"Hello, dear. Is this a bad time?" she spoke in her soft, quavering voice.

"Hi, mom. No, it's fine," Reina answered. She was actually relieved to see her mother up and about.

Her mother nodded and walked further in. She gave Ander a warm smile. "I'm Rosa."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Ander." He got up. "I'll let myself out. Reina, we'll talk more about my, uhh, plan another day, okay?"

"Sure." Reina was also secretly relieved that Ander possessed the instinct to make his exit in the presence of her mother, who represented a home life that she'd rather not have on display – not for her friends, not for her piece of shit of an ex-boyfriend... And not even for Ander.

Once Ander was gone, Reina's mother went to sit beside her on the sofa.

"How are you feeling, Reina dear?"

"Not too bad. I just want to recover ASAP so that I can move about as much as I want. Without relying on anything or anyone."

Her mother nodded sympathetically. "You've always been a strong girl. You'll be back on your feet in no time."

"Hope so."

"So that Ander – he was the one whom you saved from the car collision?"

"Yeah."

"He seems very nice."

"He is." Reina bit her lower lip in thought. "One of a kind, honestly."

"I'm glad. There's this calm glow about you today. Could it be.. an Ander effect?"