Chapter 26 ░ Armor

"Easy, easy

"Easy, easy. One step at a time."

Ander's eyes were fixed steadily on Reina as she maneuvered her way out of the car and into the wheelchair.

Insisting to do it all by herself, Reina was shaky and took it slow.

But it was fine. She was fine, and that was all that mattered.

In all his sixteen years, Ander had thought he knew what fear was.

When he used to play tennis and lost a match, he would lock himself in the room, afraid of his dad.

The time when Polo went missing and became unreachable after having a massive fight with Carla. Polo had talked to Ander and Guzmán about suicide, and they had begun to think the worst when Polo disappeared. Ander was wrecked at the prospect of losing someone he considered a brother. Luckily, Polo resurfaced after three days – he had taken the train to the next town and checked into a hotel. His mothers were able to track him down and bring him home.

His skateboarding accident two years back that got him flipping in mid-air before landing on his right elbow with a sickening crunch sound.

And this year – such an insane year. All the wild dares with the San Patricio idiots, especially the one that required him to leap from that tall cliff into the deep abyss of the lake. It was fucking scary.

But now? Ander knew that nothing could compare to the night when he fell onto the pavement after Reina had pushed him aside.

He had scraped his knuckles and right cheek, but that was okay.

The real horror came the moment he turned around, just in time to see Reina get hit by the car.

He thought his heart had stopped functioning as he scrambled back up and ran toward Reina.

Her usually animated face was lifeless, framed by streaks of blood and bits of asphalt.

Ander checked Reina for a pulse and found it.

Then all at once, his heart began to race.

"Someone call an ambulance!" he had yelled hoarsely, as if his life had depended on it.

Maybe it did.

"Ander?" Reina's voice broke his reverie.

"Yes?"

"I hate to ask again, but umm can you help get my bags from the trunk?"

"Oh. Of course." Ander shook his head. "Sorry for spacing out."

Reina flashed him a tentative smile. "No worries. And thanks."

Ander could be imagining it, but there seemed to be some kind of awkwardness emitting from Reina. As if she was uneasy with his presence. And she was being really polite and proper to him – which had never happened before.