17. The Ring

The clock struck 8:00pm.
Melissa was waiting for Fred in the common room. She was sat by the fire thinking of plans and ways they couldn't get caught while trying to calm down her nerves and thoughts.

Her thoughts were cut off my a familiar voice coming down the stairs. It was Fred's. She smiled and stood up running towards the stairs ready to hug her boyfriend. But, it's not the right Fred.

He came walking down the stairs hand in hand with Jade, both laughing together, until they saw her. They both stopped and stared at her for a few seconds in silence.
"What are you staring at." Fred said to Melissa.
"Freddie I-" Melissa was lost for word ax. She couldn't believe her own boyfriend would say that to her never mind cheat on her and be so open about it.
"Hey. Clarke. Leave, me and Freddie want some alone time." Jade smiled and kissed Fred leading him over to the sofa.
"OUT!" Jade screamed at her.

Melissa started slowly backing away from them both, unable to take her eyes off what she was seeing. As she was watching them a high pitched squeal started growing around the room, almost bursting Melissa's ear drums. The squeals got louder and louder until they were unbearable for Melissa to hear. She started screaming in pain from the noise. The louder the noise got the louder she screamed. All the glass from the windows started shining so bright into room stopping Melissa from opening her eyes, but she could still hear the squeals, she could still hear Fred and Jade together. It was a horrible thing to hear. The noises kept getting louder and louder. Melissa's screams were getting louder and louder.

"MELISSA!" The nosies stopped. She opened her eyes and took her hands off her ears. Fred was standing in front of her, his eyes full of worry again.
"Mel, it was just another hallucination." Melissa started crying and hugged her boyfriend tightly. He hugged back, gently running his fingers through her hair and kissing her on the top of her head.

"Come on let's go find that ring and get these hallucinations gone. I hate seeing you suffer." Fred said when they both broke apart. Melissa slightly smiled taking Fred's hand as they both quietly left the common room and slowly walked to the entrance of the room of requirement.

They both got to the entrance of the door, making it appear. Once the door had been revealed Fred put his hand on Melissa's back as they both stepped inside the room, shutting the door behind them.
The room was filled top to bottom of separate hills of artefacts.
"There's no way we're gonna find that ring in here." Melissa said without taking her eyes off the piles of things.
"That's probably why Jade told us to do it." Fred replied. "Well, let's get searching."

They both started with a pile of things each, going through on piles took at least 45 minutes. At this rate they were going to be there all night. They both quietly picked up every item placing it somewhere no noise would be made. Most of the things in the room of requirement were metal so when they bashed together they made quite a lot of noise. There was trophies, briefcases, photo frames, glass fire lamps, pixies, all sorts in the piles. There was a bunch of tiny objects too which they both made sure to look at because obviously a ring is quite small and easily missed.

3 hours had gone by. Each of them had gone through 3 piles each, neither of them had found any form of a ring.
"How do we know if the ring is in a box or just itself?" Melissa looked at Fred who was rummaging through a box of Jewellery.
"I have no idea." Fred replied. "Just look for a shape that could be a ring box or a ring."
"Okay."
"Wait." Fred had found a ring in a draw if the jewellery box he was looking inside.
"Oh my god. I found it! Did she say it has a gold print on the inside?"
"Yeah."
"Oh my god I found it!" He shouted. Melissa immediately ran over to him giving him a big hug.
"Thank you thank you thank you!" She said. Fred smiled at the sudden shock of Melissa running up to him and she softly stroked the back of her silky brown hair.

Their moment was interrupted by footsteps approaching the door.
"Who's there?" Came Filch's voices from the other side of the door. They both broke apart, butterflies were forming at the very pit of Melissa's stomach. She was so scared they were going to get caught, she didn't want to be expelled, not from Hogwarts.
"We gotta go, don't drop the ring." Fred whispered to Melissa. She nodded in return and they both ran quietly to the other door. While running Melissas gown knocked a trophy off one of the piled making a loud bang on the floor. Before they could get to the door Filch opening the one they entered in.
"Put your hood up!" Fred said to Melissa.

"Hey you two! Stop there!" Filch shouted. Melissa and Fred both started running and laughing together, making all Melissa's worry's and fears of being caught go away. They both left Filch at the opening the door they came in with no way of identifying who they were.

Melissa and Fred both made it back to the common room without getting caught. It was now 12am and Melissa kept the ring safe with her for the rest of the night ready to give it to Jade in the morning.

~~~~~~~~

It was breakfast the next morning, Fred and Melissa were both waiting for Jade to enter the Great Hall.

There she was again, waking down the hall like she owns the place. Jade sat in the same place as yesterday waiting for Fred and Melissa to go to her. They both went over immediately as she sat down at the table.
"Do you have my ring?" She asked them. Melissa held it up in her hands.
"That's the one." Jade smiled holding her hand out for Melissa to give her the ring.
"I'm not stupid Jade." Melissa said.
"What?" Jade replied taking her hand back.
"I want the potion. I know what your going to do. Your going to take the ring and not make the potion."
"Fine, meet me in the girls bathrooms at lunch. You can watch me make it."
"Fine." Melissa wasn't easily fooled. Especially since she'd been dating Fred for over a year now. Jade wasn't getting her ring until Melissa got her potion.