54. Goodbyes

Chapter 54 - Goodbyes 

      Sweet serenity consumed the air. The consistent sound of the fan circulating waves with air kept the room cool and crisp. It was a familiar feeling, the same old same old when it came to waking up in Alex's bedroom, a feeling that was never going to grow old.

       A lengthy arm was wrapped around my body, keeping me close to his chest as we were in a spooning position. His warmth radiated off of him, his potent smell intoxicating with every inhale.

   The room was almost pitch-black. The red blinking of his alarm clock was the only source of light. It read 4am. 

   I groaned slightly from the new knowledge of how early it was, and then, it hit me. Remembering yesterday arrived in my mind. It was almost unreal to believe Alex and I were now graduates. 

      Alex shuffled behind me, his legs kicking side to side for a quick second. I put my movements into a standstill, afraid that I was the one who woke him up.

    "Laila," he spoke, his morning voice raspy and hoarse. 

    "Hmmm," I hummed, moving my body closer into his, molding our limps into a perfect form.

   "What time is it?" 

   "Four,"

     Alex groaned loudly and mumbled something too faint for me to understand. He removed his arm off of me and swung his legs off the bed, hoisting himself up.

    "I have to get going." he stated before turning on his side stand lamp.

    The bright light immediately illuminated the room, allowing me to see Alex clearly. My eyes quickly tried to adjust from the sudden harsh fixture. His back faced me as he was hunched over. 

     Once I processed his words, I had finally remembered today was his departure. Sadness instantly flooded my heart. I didn't want him to leave.

  "Baby, stay," I grumbled, my hand grasping for his wrist, tugging on it for him to return into his bed.

       "The boys will be here in an hour or so." he informed me after he had checked his phone. He hastily got up without saying anything as I watched him precisely. He picked out an outfit before leaving the room. 

        A few minutes later, the sound of the shower turning on occupied my ears. My body stiff in his bed, not wanting to get up at the early hour. However, I didn't want to waste our last given hour before he left.

       So I slowly got up, hauling my legs off of the bed, pushing upward with the aid of my arms. I padded over to his closet. Majority of his clothes were packed in his duffle-bag already. I grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a white shirt.

    The living room was just as dark as I expected it to be. Light leaked from the bathroom's door, guiding me through the blackness.

      The bathroom was filled with steamy fog once I entered. My clothes on my back were soon scattered on the floor under a minute. I immerged into the hot shower, and was greeted by Alex, who had a smirk playing off on his lips. 

    "Shut up and wash my back." I grumbled, elbowing him in his rib cage playfully as he chuckled.

-

      After showering together, we made breakfast. I fixed up some eggs on stove. The hot sizzling sound was the only thing that could be heard between us besides our heavy breathing. Alex was occupied by cutting up some fruit for us. The chopping of his knife added more tension.