19. Medicine

Chapter 19 - Medicine 

   There wasn’t a doubt that Alex still had that mysterious vibe to him. And yet I couldn’t put my finger on it. There would be days that fascinated me of how he was. He could demanding sometimes, although it didn’t phase me too much. His slick raspy voice was what really got to me. And the way his fingertips could light me on fire, but of course not literally. That'd be terrible if he could light me on fire that easily. I mean metaphoric in the type of senses when I say that. 

   It's the following second week from Alex's and I's Halloween 'date', and everything has been so far so good. But something within me was telling me that this ship was going to set sail down south very rapidly in a bad spiral that was going to be unpredictable and unstoppable. Although I had no idea, the feeling was there and it didn't want to be pushed away, no matter how hard I tried to block it.

   I was walking down the hallway, with my side bag clutched in my hand firmly and my eyes glued to the floor - trying to avoid eye contact. Even though Alex and I didn't share too much time together in school, there were still those nasty rumors and that made me the bait. Bait as in to all the girls who've been trying to get into Alex's pants are giving these horrifying glares when I stroll by to get to class. 

    But on with walking, the classroom I had past, there was an awful ruckus. A teacher was shouting for the students to move away as they were panicking all in a circle. It came to my attention and before I realized what I was doing, I walked in.

   The circle was in the middle of the room, and it appeared that someone was on the floor in the middle of the shape. I could only see the shoes of whomever it could be – the perks of my height.

The shouting became louder and almost unbearable to even take in.

“Is he having an Asthma attack?”

“Why is he wheezing like that? Is he a dog of some sort?”

“Someone call nine-one-one, he’s gonna pass out!”

“He’s having a panic attack!”

   As the last statement came through my ears, I perked up. I was no stranger to panic attacks even though they aren’t frequent. They would come along once a year, maybe twice but that was really it. Nothing too big.

   But I needed to help whoever could be on the floor and having idiots not knowing what to do. I push harshly through the small crowd, along with getting odd looks from the ones that my forceful hands put to the side.

   A gasp escaped from my lips as I see who is on the floor with his hand tightly on his chest. His cheeks burning with a deep red and his chestnut hair messy with tangles. His mouth was opened, and it only filled the air with the sounding of wheezing and his chest hastily going up and down, but it was clear he was out of breath.

   I mentally cursed, and my mind was like an over worked factory of trying to figure out what to do. I kneeled quickly to his side. His eyes immediately found mine without any troubles.

   “Laila Grey! What are you doing?!” The teacher yelled at me, with a phone near to his ear. “The nurse is coming!”

   I knew that the nurse was going to be awhile, and Alex didn’t have ‘awhile’. Panic attacks are the worse feeling to ever experience.

   My body wasn’t allowing me to speak in any form and having everyone surrounding us only made the situation worse for Alex and me.

    My hands reached up to his cheeks, the feeling of them were warm, a type of warm like he had a fever. A sign that was indeed not a good one. My breathing was coming almost just unsteady as his.