6. Sunday Breakfast

Chapter 6 -  Sunday Breakfast

   Something very strange happened to me during the night that had me thinking strongly. It was just around three in the morning when I woke up drenched in sweat from an explicit dream. Of course, my one AM thinking happened before I went to sleep. 

    It was so vivid and it was something that I no longer wanted to ever think of. It was the brutal murder of my sister. But this time, I was behind the knife and the images of my mother screaming bloody murder came into place.

  I tried my best to wash out the thoughts now that It was Sunday morning and I was currently getting ready, for what to be exact? 

   Well, I had to ditch Alex's offer of spending time to hang out after school on Friday due to the fact I couldn't come up with anything to tell my dad were I'd be. This was when having no friends started to play in and it sucked more than anything. Actually, not everything or anything, but it's pretty damn close.

   It was Friday morning, and I had to come up with something quick in order to be able to spend time with Alex. Obviously that had been a major failure. Actually, not major but it was still a failure how many ways you look at it.

It started out with my dad barging into my room, questioning my decor. 

"When are you going to take down all this band crap?" He pointed to the band posters that hung in my room. 

"Never," I retorted. "they'll be there until I die."

"Very funny, Laila." He sat down on my chair and started to go through my journals that lay on my small desk. "You don't seem to write as much as you used to."

I pursed my lips, he was of course right. "Just waiting for that one idea to spark in my head I guess."

"You know how I feel about it so I won't lecture you about it." He said, going through older journals from the previous years.

  My dad was a phenomenal writer and had everything going for him up until my mother ditched us. He had to stop pursuing his dream for my brother and I. It wasn't easy for a single dad to take care of his two motherless children and still have to put a roof over their heads.

  I had been blessed with the skills my father had. Writing was in my blood and it never wanted to leave me it seemed like.

    Now on with what my father was talking about to when he said how I knew how he felt about it. My dad wanted the best for me in every possible way, meaning if writing was something I wanted then so be it. But he didn't want me to become something for his dreams and not something for me. He didn't want me to be pressured into becoming a writer or author just for the sake of his dreams and ambition that once meant everything to him.

"Let's go out for dinner later, yeah?" My dad cut me from my thoughts. 

   My mind surged in panic of thinking of a way to say no but I didn't even think of a valid reason. I couldn't just say 'I'm actually going out with a boy that Derek doesn't like and made me promise to stay away from.'

  So I nodded my head with a fake smile, regretting every bone in me. I regretted my decision so much that I didn't bother going to school from the worry that built in me. The perks of having my dad leave off to work before I went to school came into play including when it was my brother who was the one in charge for me to get to school. Derek normally allowed me to skip school on occasions.

   Throughout the day, I caught up on my homework and other small things. I created scenarios in my head of how mad Alex would be at me, but I couldn't help it at this point. It would be a full school year of hearing his grunts and his face giving me the dirtiest look ever right at me.