16. Calm Before The Storm

Chapter 16 - Calm Before The Storm

    The sky was over casted, and my dried up hands were freezing as I walked home. I quickly pulled my sleeves of my maroon sweater to cover my hands, wishing that I wore a jacket. But at this point I had more things to worry about then just wanting a jacket.

   Luckily, the sounds around me calmed me down, the rustling of the leaves around me and the howling wind was all I needed to calm myself down from what happened earlier.

   I took a left turn, which happened to be the longer way home. All I was trying to do was to buy time, considering what I said to my father this morning.

  I don’t know why I felt like this towards the fact he’s writing a novel. And about love? How was he going to do that when it’s been almost eleven years since his and mom’s divorce was finalized? I mean sure, you can fake a love story, but how and who is giving him the inspiration to do this?

‘Grow up!’

‘Grow up!’

‘Grow up!’

It rang through my head again, and it wasn’t going away.

   “Grow up, huh?” I muttered, and yet here I have my father picking up his dream that he threw out himself.

   Then here’s Derek to the side, who happens to be a hopeless romantic in the flesh, but funny how he can’t keep a girlfriend for longer than a year.

   I call it just a bunch of bullshit at this point. But if Derek wants me to ‘grow up’ then so be it. I’ll show him ‘grow up’ Laila. Grownups are nothing but grouchy, loveless, and nothing but seriousness. And if he wants me to stay away from Alex, then looks like that will be part of the package deal.

   If Alex cared for me like he said he did to my father, then he would have talked to me already, or atleast try to communicate with me in some way. It’s not what I wanted to do – leave Alex in the dust. But from what it looks like, he has already beaten me at it. Besides the fact I’ve done nothing wrong.

   I should have known that this wouldn’t work out. And sure, I could have taken the warnings from Derek and my Dad. But Caleb should have opened my eyes of who Alex could really be. Yet, I saw Alex the way others didn’t. No one saw Alex at his highest peak of happiness like at Chucky E. Cheese. Or his sassiness at the times I’ve spent at his apartment besides me.

    The wind catches my attention as I felt a tiny wet drop landing in my hair, my eyes roll back in my head. “Don’t you dare, please?” I warned the sky, with the only niceness it will ever get out of me.

   That’s when it started to downpour as if Heaven opened up and started to grieve. I moved my legs in a running pace, until I trip on my lose shoe lace. I fall hard on the pavement, getting my hands scrap up and dirty.

   Regretting that I took the long way home, I pick myself up slowly. I was drench by this time. There was absolutely no point to run, my clothes hung on me tightly and my hair was turning into wet ringlets.  

   I wanted to cry as I stood there in the rain, nothing but being fed up was my emotion. I’m cold from the October air and dripping wet, and my mind was a clutter mess. I was on a back road, meaning I must have taken a wrong turn. I was supposed to take a right turn. God only knows how long I’ve been walking down this road since the last turn.

   So now I’m lost, this situation couldn’t get any better. Looking down at my feet, I notice a folded paper on the road. I pick it up and carefully opened it without tearing it from being wet.