29. Back to Black

Chapter 29 - Back to Black

    After talking for hours to each other, it wasn't until five in the morning when we got back to his apartment. Alex spooned me while I fell asleep; he played one of The Goo Goo dolls' albums softly in the background.

    It wasn't until currently today that I got to see him since that magnificent night under the stars. We were back to hell or school would be the proper term for it.

    I was glad that winter break was over. I finally had an excuse to get out of the house; a house where I felt nothing but guilty and nervousness with the engulfing of tension.

     First period was odious. Fat old man returned my graded test that I studied hard all night before, and of course with my god awful luck, I flunked it. A big ole' F.

    I shook my head out of disbelief. There had to be something wrong with his grading. This was a complete mistake.

   "You should consider studying more." Fat old man who was my teacher grumbled before he walked to the desk behind me.

     Glancing at Alex, his eyes shot daggers at fat old man's back. It appeared that Alex wasn't too pleased of the attitude fat old man had with me because clearly it wasn't because of his test.

     In Alex's hand was his test and it was plain in sight of what he got on it. An eighty-five. This caused my disbelief build even further.

     Alex shot me a mocking smirk, proud that he passed the test. My jaw was dropped out of complete wonder stuck.

     "Should have studied more," He winked at me, taunting me furthermore.

    Gritting my teeth to conceal myself to say anything, I lowered my head to the surface of my desk.

     There was no point to be mad at Alex's playful behavior anyway. Especially with the way he looked in his leather jacket today and his tight skinny jeans. I swear every day his fashion sense has been getting more impeccable and hot too.

    Then there was me. Here I sat in a washed up indie band t-shirt and jeans that didn't compare to his style.

    If I was going to date someone like Alex, a lead singer, and all together a rocker type of person, I should dress the part.

     I shrugged at my thoughts and gathered my folders when the bell finally rung, singling that first hour was over.

    Alex and I departed our ways until lunch. I sat at his lunch table like always. Jack and his girlfriend Brenna were making googly heart eyes at each other the whole damn time. But I was less bothered when I thought about it more. Alex and I probably appeared just the same.

     Rian, on the other hand, went on a big excitement ramble on the new drum set he scored.

     I, for one, relaxed in my seat and listened. I've always been the listener. It was interesting to hear the daily lives of Alex's band mates. Being mute meant a lot of things and one of them meant that I easily picked up on small details of people.

      I noticed that every time Jack took a bite of his food that he would blink, every single time with every single bite. Another thing I've observed was that when Brenna would ever talk, he would stare directly at her lips.

He's quite adorable I tell you.

    Rian, I've noticed was an observer too but not as well trained like me. I can't recall ever seeing him slightly upset here at the table. He's everlasting content with life it looked like.