20. Practicing

Chapter 20 - Practicing

   It was another lazy Friday night, and I had locked myself in my room for the evening. Alex had 'practice' and for what I wished I knew. At the time when he told me, I forgot to ask. There could be multiple things that anyone could practice something for, and what exactly was that for Alex?

I wish I knew. Maybe he'll tell me soon.

    There were so many things I still had to learn about Alex, and I truly believed that we were heading in the correct direction. His and I's relationship seemed as if we were actually doing this all right in some ways. He was my first boyfriend, and there are many things that I'm absolutely clueless about.

   "Laila, come to the store with me?" Derek walked to my room, immediately I hide my papers that I've been writing on.

   "Um…Yeah. Sure." I smiled.

   Quickly, I grabbed my jacket and shoes and followed him out to his car.

    The car ride was quiet, but with Coldplay softly played in the background helped break it. I was glad I took my jacket. Baltimore was getting colder and worse by the minute. But I liked every bit of it. Autumn was my favorite out of all seasons, although autumn is currently turning into winter with Thanksgiving around the corner. Everything turned gray during winter, and it always left me in some sort of depression. That’s what I despised about seasons changing, and with living in Baltimore, it only made the weather worse. Snow might make someone happy for a week, that’s until you have to shovel it and have to dress for it. It’s all tiring and it was just around the corner.

    Speaking about around the corner, Derek had just pulled into the grocery store parking lot, and parked into a spot. “I just need a few things. Do you want to come inside?” He said while pulling the keys out of the ignition.

    Sighing, I got out of the car with him. Still wondering why I had even bothered with agreeing to even go with him. But once inside, I separated from him to roam around while he got whatever he needed. I ended up getting a little lost, and somehow was in the aisle of candy.

    I dug into my pockets, with the hopes of maybe finding spare cash. The bag of candy was begging for me to take it home.

   But with my terrible luck, I only had my phone. In which with perfect timing, it started to buzz with the only name that I would only be as happy to see.

  Grinning, I answer the call.

   “Hello?” His raspy voice filled into my ear. I tried to get away into an isolated area in the store to be more comfortable to be able to talk, which led me to the women’s bathroom.

    Luckily, it was vacant. “Sorry about that.” It had taken me forever to finally say anything. With locking the stall door, I could only hear his heavy breathing.

   I pursed my lips with having the struggle to find something to say as I sat on the toilet with my legs tight together.

“Where are you?” Alex broke our deathly silence.

“I’m in a store’s bathroom.” I said plainly. Looking around, it wasn’t too shabby.

“Can you somehow come over to Jack’s place?” He randomly asked.

“I don’t know…Alex.” There was no way I could get there, without a car. Sure, I had my driver’s license, but was missing a car for myself.

“It’s okay, if you can’t.” He paused. “I gotta go, um, bye.”

    He hung up just like that, leaving me wanting to know why he was acting like that. I decided I shouldn’t dread on it too much.