9. Coffee Shop

Chapter 9 - Coffee Shop

   Maybe it’s the way I matured over the years or the experiences I’ve gone through, but I know that Alex had a great deal of what I am today. It takes great will power to change someone’s life dramatically. Most people have the desire to be known by the whole world and that can be done so easily. But it’s different when you’ve changed someone’s life, which is a lifetime sort of thing that can’t be handed to you on your doorsteps.  It’s an opportunity that no one sees until the aftermath.  

I just wish I knew to stop from what was happening between him and I before it was so late.

   When I arrived home the next day, I walked into the kitchen to find my dad pacing around in panic with the phone against his ear. My brother was sitting with his head down on the kitchen counter. I stopped at the entrance, waiting for their wrath once they notice me.

   "If you find her or have any more suggestions to look, you know my number, Jason." He hung up the phone and turned around. When his eyes lay on mine, his face and shoulders loosen in relief.

   "Laila," He breathed as he charged towards me. He embraced me if it was like our last hug with one hand holding my head and the other arm wrapped around my shoulders. "don't you ever dare do that again."

    "Sorry." I whispered into this shoulder even though I wasn't. That was the last time that, I, Laila Rose ever apologized for something that I wasn't truly sorry for.

    Derek stood behind my dad and I with his arms crossed. "So what's her punishment, huh?"

My dad let go of me and sighed, "Nothing."

Derek gasped with his jaw hung, "Nothing? If I did that I'd be grounded for the rest of my life! You even called mom! And -"

My dad harshly cut him off. "Enough!

    "Wait you got mom into this?" I felt extreme guilt rising in me. My dad hadn’t made contact with my mom ever since she left as far as I knew.

  "Laila, go upstairs to your bedroom," My dad ordered me, pinching the bridge of his nose with his eyes screwed shut.

   "Wait," Derek gripped onto my elbow, stopping me from leaving. "Whose clothes are those?"

      I look down at myself – He was referring to Alex's clothes that he let me borrow last night.

 "Who else would it be?" I deviously raised my eyebrow as I stared into his eyes. He automatically knew who I was talking about and just by the look of his eyes; I could see the fire of anger boiling inside of him. That would teach him not to grab my elbow like that ever again.

I yanked out of his tight grip and hurried myself to my room.

   Hearing them argue left me to put in my ear-buds, I didn't care to listen to what they have to say. I blasted Maroon 5's recent album - Songs About Jane

   The title of the album got me thinking, I'd be overly angry if someone were to write songs about me then gain money and fame for it. Never date a lead singer was what it came down to.

    All of this led me to think of Alex. All the arguing down stairs made me to start second guessing if it was all worth it. Was he worth it? We were just merely friends and yet dad and Derek were hysteric to the fact we are acquaintance. Were Alex and I friends? Of course, not any relationship, but maybe a friendship? Maybe Derek and dad have their reasons but I simple just didn’t see them or understand. They haven't even met him. Perhaps having Alex over would make them realize that he was good.