28. Dancing Stars

*Before you read* I've made a trailer for The Remembering! Go watch it, it's on the side! :) I worked super hard on it too. Enjoy the chapter!

 Chapter 28 – Dancing Stars

   I destroyed my family.

    There was no doubt that my destructive behavior would do this to my family. Derek hasn't left his room ever since Christmas; it's now New Year’s Eve. 

     When Derek would come out of his room which was a rare occasion, it was his stare that left scars on my mind. But that's the thing about his stare. It was only for five seconds until he closed the door behind him to either the bathroom door or to his room. That was how deadly his gaze was at me.

    Uncle Gabe's departure was hopefully soon. I just wanted him to be gone and for God's sake, to never see him ever again. He out welcomed his stay in my opinion. Sure he was working on Kenzie's case for justice, but I'm just sick and tired of it all.

     Not to mention Uncle Gabe's and my father's bickering had never been so awful. Constantly, they were bickering like a fifty year old couple. Whether it's about something completely stupid like what they were watching on the television after dinner or arguing something serious over the steps to take with Kenzie’s case.

     I've taken recognition of my father's slow process of his solemn expression. Steadily his expression every day changed a little. The bags under his eyes gain heavily, his wrinkles begun to show more noticeably, and his lips always pulled into a tight line. 

I blame myself. 

    Evidently, I could easily blame this whole ordeal on the persistent topic of my sister. I can only imagine the pain circulating through my father right now. But I wasn't making it easier on him. In fact, I was making it harder on not only him but Derek too. 

     The buzzing of my phone snapped me out of my thoughts. Alex had finally replied back to my text message.

   I’ll pick you up after the gig, are you sure you don’t want to come? :(

     I rolled my eyes. Alex knew I had too much homework to attend his gig. He was luckily enough to get me to hang out with him afterwards with all the homework piled on my desk. Leave it up to my teachers to give me essays and projects on winter break.

Trust me I want to attend but my homework babe :(

    I laid my phone down and returned back to my work. All this writing I’ve been doing all day made me think of the entire writing journal entries that were now vanished by the courtesy of Derek and my father.

    Deciding that I needed a break, I took a hot relaxing shower to get ready for the date that Alex apparently planned. Even with my constant asking of what he possibly might have had in mind, he kept his lips shut besides telling me that it was a secret and that it was going to be better than our first date at Chucky E. Cheese.

 Secrets.

     I knew Alex was keeping one from me other than the date. We haven’t seen each other since Christmas. We’ve been calling each other and text messaging each other every day along with occasionally getting on AOL Messaging. But with all the talking and messages between us, nothing was ever brought up of the disaster that occurred at his parents’ home.

    I’m anticipating that maybe he will tell me at least something so that I’m not fully in the dark of what he could possibly be battling inside of his mind.